Unit of Measure Conversions

I am having a problem with my Unit of Measure conversions. The base unit of measure for most of our products is kilograms, but we do purchase many items in different units of measure (gallon, lbs, etc.) We have entered the calculated conversion ratio in the Unit of Measure list for each item, which is straightforward for lbs to kg, but gets a bit more complicated for gallons to kg. For a paticular item A, base UOM is kilograms, selling is kilograms, and purchase is gallon. We will order 1 gallon which we calculate to be 3.78 kilograms, and have entered the necessary ratio (0.26 gallon = 1 kilo). Unfortunately, instead of converting the gallon to 3.78 it converts it to 0.26 kg, which if I am not mistaken is backwards. Because as I understand it the base UOM should always be 1 and the conversion rates should be based on that. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I think you have it backwards. The Qty. per Unit of Measure should be the quantity of base in that unit of measure. KG - 1 Gallon - 3.78 (3.78 KG in a Gallon) lb - 0.45454 (1/2.2 KG in a lb) If you don’t have to Correct the Volumes to 15C before you convert them, you are lucky [;)]

Well, it is not the first time I have had something backwards. I was probably trying to think too much and assumed I had to base everything on the base kilograms for the conversion, but now I know. Cheers Chris and thanks.

The Unit of Measure conversions can be tricky, especially when you have a UOM smaller than the Base UOM. For example 1 Case = 6 Units 10 Cases = 1 Pallet Ideally your Base UOM is your smallest unit, but this is not always the case, so in the Qty. per Unit of Measure field you need to ask “How many Base UOM are in my New UOM?” UOM…Qty. Per ----------------- Case…1 Unit…0.166667 (1/6) Pallet…10

Which is exactly why you should put the smallest possible unit of measure as the Base Unit of Measure (for instance EACH, even if you usually stock by the box). That way, you will always have inventory in whole numbers, and you will prevent rounding issues. Of course this becomes a little tricky if you have lengths or weights as the uom’s :). We should all go to the metric system.