Unit of Measure Conversion

We have finally upgraded to 2.6. One of the new improvements that we were looking forward to was Unit of Measure Conversion. We commonly purchase in feet and sell in meters or vice versa. Also lbs to feet, etc. Assuming that the Unit of Measure Conversion would be our perfect solution for this. We were disappointed to find that the Unit of Measure conversion is actually tabled on each individual item card. Understand the concept here and makes sense. You purchase, for example, a box containing 12 pens, and sell the indivudual pens. With another brand of pens you may purchase boxes that include 10 pens, and sell as one each. Is anyone aware of a solution to create a universal conversion tables were we could input all the metric to standard conversions once, then pick from the table rather than inputting this information repeatedly on each individual item card? Any suggestions are welcome.

Units of Measure is my favourite topic at the moment. :slight_smile: I am building conversion routines for a customer that wants to change their UOMs and revalue their stock too. This not exactly straightforward but it is possible. As for your suggestion of a standard conversion factor. If there is a standard (such as m<->ft, kg<->lb) then this could be created in a standard table and automatically put into all items Item Unit of Measure tables when this Unit of Measure is added to that item. This would work to achieve your purpose I think. I don’t suggest a modification to pick Item UOMs from another table that is created because IUOMs are used in so many places that there would be a lot of modifications required. Its better to make a modification that then allows Navision to use its native functionality. Do you think this suggestion would suit your needs? If not, let me know and I’ll have another think. Craig Bradney Technical Manager Navision Solutions & Services, Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Email:cbradney@deloitte.com.au

Working with purchasing 100 Lbs (US) and Selling ???Kg’s (UK) with a 1KG base UOM and large bags, is a Nightmare, there is no true conversion factor and this can cause Rounding Differences on stock. Also there are “Unit Cost” & Price Issue’s! David Cox MindSource (UK) Limited Navision Solutions Partner Email: david@mindsource.co.uk Web: www.mindsource.co.uk Edited by - David Cox on 2001 May 10 08:17:08

I’ve done this and it’s not too bad. The problem is not just metric to conventional conversion but conversions within a measuring system as well (e.g. cups to pints to quarts to gallons). The basic approach I followed was to add fields to the unit of measure table to indicate the type of unit (e.g. length, weight, volume) and a conversion factor to a base unit (e.g. meter, gram, liter or foot, pound, gallon). Many units of measure will not have a type (e.g. box, case, each) but any that does must also have a conversion factor to the appropriate base unit. When a new unit of measure is added to the item unit of measure table, the system checks to see if there is already a unit of measure defined for the item with the same type as the new unit of measure. If there is, then the “Qty. per Unit of Measure” can be supplied automatically from the conversion factors in the unit of measure table. Edited by - Jack Reynolds on 2001 May 10 14:09:54

Ok… now add to the mix a conversion where its not constant. Say… a box of pens… well its supposed to be 100 pens per box, but if theres 105 and its marked on the delivery docket as 105 then oops… conversion factors dont work anymore… Think about this when you get to weights and drums of liquids etc. No joy to be found. Craig Bradney Technical Manager Navision Solutions & Services, Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Email:cbradney@deloitte.com.au