Two permanently working copies of NA application

Hellow, everybody! I have interesting observation: On some computers in our company user can start and work with two copies of Navision Attain 3.01B application with diffrent databases, but on some computers users cannot do this 'cause they have error message of sharing violation something like that “This function cannot be complete while database uses by another users”. First situation is “bug” or feature? What must I do on computers that have second situation to allow users have access to two databases permanently?

Hi there, As far as I know a user can start navision server as often as the license permits. However a database can only be opened once LOCALLY. Regards, Peter

I believe each server would legally require its own separate license (i.e. that the Navision license terminology is for a single server). Dave Studebaker das@libertyforever.com Liberty Grove Software A Navision Services Partner

David is right. If you want to start two different databases, you have to install two servers with two different licenses. Michael

David and Michael are right. This point is clearly stated in the license conditions. The license conditions also mentions the only exception to this, which is that a customer is allowed to run 2 servers on the same license, IF one of them is for TEST purposes. Lars Strøm Valsted ------------------------- Why can’t programmers tell the difference between Christmas and Halloween? Because OCT(31) = DEC(25)

For, ussing licenses, read license disclaimer. On open database file Navision loads DBM (+slave) for database file. Loading loacal fdb: Running fin.exe it loads DBM and links it to database a.fdb; Running second time fin.exe and openning the same database a.fdb OS reports that DMB is loaded a.fdb, this is not error and fin.exe starts. If you wanna open another fdb from the same fin.exe OS reports that DBM is used for a.fdb and can’t load b.fdb database; Make copy of Navision installation, now you are able load another fdb, by running /another/fin.exe and OS reports that /another/DBM is free and everything is OK. So you can open as many diferent databases as many Navision instalations you have. Running on server, server loads DBM, so you don’t have any limitation (technicaly )to run as many fin.exe’s as you want and connect to as many servers as you want. Edited by - db on 2002 Apr 02 08:44:17

I’m afraid I disagree with Dalius. The Navision International Product License Agreement (IPLA), US Version states in paragraph 1.1.1 “Navision hereby grants to the licensee, a perpetual, non-assignable, non-transferrable and non-exclusive right to use the Program on only one Database at any one time.” “Only one database at one time” is pretty clear in terms of what the license allows. What the license allows and what one can physically do are two different things. That’s one reason they have the license. Dave Studebaker das@libertyforever.com Liberty Grove Software A Navision Services Partner

quote:

Originally posted by daves: I’m afraid I disagree with Dalius. The Navision International Product License Agreement (IPLA), US Version states in paragraph 1.1.1 “Navision hereby grants to the licensee, a perpetual, non-assignable, non-transferrable and non-exclusive right to use the Program on only one Database at any one time.”

Do you disagree technicaly or do you tink, that explore such things, are illegal? Even if I have developer license? How do you think what customer should do in following situation? Customer made backup of database, orginal has been compressed, but customer needs to see detailed compressed year. So, he should buy another license or can use the same license?

Hi Alex The case of opening two different databases can happen only when u have navision installation on your local PC and another installation on the server also. so if u check,on the PC where two databses are opened you will find that one database path will be pointing to the server and the other database path will be local. Thanx Kumar

In my opinion (and I must emphasize it is only an opinion), it is proper for an organization to archive a database copy before compressing (for example), then to reference that archived database in single user mode in order to review the old, detailed data. I believe it would not be proper to have the archive copy available in multi-user mode without another full Navision license. The only exception to the above (and again I emphasize - in my opinion) would be to have a second multiuser copy of a database running for test purposes for developers - not for production. I am a believer that even in legal matters, when there are grey areas (areas subject to different interpretation by reasonable people), common sense and honest intent should prevail. Dave Studebaker das@libertyforever.com Liberty Grove Software A Navision Services Partner

Sorry, but I think you all missed Aleanders point. If you start a Navision Client 3.01B and you connect to Database A on Server A AND you start another Navision Client 3.01B and try to connect a Database B locally you get the “…while database is in uses by another user” message. I faced that problem once connecting to a server-database without using the install procedure for the client (only a “folder-copy” from the CD) AND then try to connect to an other local database using the same client. We should not discuss license issues in this case. You will have the same problem using the “cronus” license locally and connect to your server, starting the client again with the “cronus” license and then try to connect to the local “cronus-demo-database”. Regards Walter

Walter you are right, I would like discuss about what too Walter check my prev. post. You don’t have any limitation open cerver connection, but you able open only one local connection per installation.

Install Attain once. Then copy the entire contents of the client directory to a new directory so you have two client directories. Then setup a shortcut to each of the executables and edit the properties so that the command line has “id=Copy1” on one of them and “id=Copy2” on the other one. This will ensure that they do not both attempt to use the same zup file. You can then run both together and access two databases either locally or remotely simultaneously. very useful for upgrade purposes where you have a development database open in one copy and the compare database open with the other copy so you can see the changes between objects. Or if you are working on one development and have to check something on another database without closing down where you are working. Cheers, John