the things that influences the speed of cost ajdt

Dear All,
I would like to ask you about the things that influence adjust - cost item entries. There are some of them that would be my concern i.e.:

1. Entry type (purchase, sale, + adjst, - adjst, transfer, output and consumption)
  2. Serial number amount
  3. costing method selected
  4. transaction amounts
  5. Quantity
  6. ??
  7. ??

I thought item ledger entries will be a table or form or source in the adjusting isn’t it…? or are there any other things…?

I want to ask you if there are another points that will give effects in running adjust cost item entries. The negative effects usually the duration of adjusting can take a long time long hour if it adjusted once in a month. But if the procedure of the company must do like that (once in a month), how to cope with the problem I mention …? although there is a 4- 5 processors in the server, I guess the duration will be still long time.your opinions and answers are ecpected. tks in advance

Rgds,
Mark

Number of items and number of transactions have an affect.

It posts to the value entries and flows to the ILE, but I cannot tell you the programming logic, have a post in the developers forum for that one!

Depending upon the industry once a month is the longest I would recommend leaving it. Other than that can a scheduled job do it, or set it going and leave for the evening!

Dear Steven,

Are there anything else…? I am sure if there are anything else that also give a big impact to the adjt. don’t you give attention to costing method…?

also what is ILE…? I think I need a flowdiagram of programming logic that explain the adjt working, I will not need the coding in the meantime, Could you let me know the flowdiagram or draw it to me pls…?

I can’t understand because the schedulling depends on company’s policy and the market price fluctuation.

Rgds,

Mark

We run ours each day from the job scheduler. The biggest thing that slows it as far as we have seen is uninvoiced item ledger entries, especially where these are part of many applied against one item. i.e where stocks have been built up (or down) and then are issued/written off/corrected in one go. Keeping sales and purchase orders up to date is key, but that is true in any business itself that uses them.

Dear kdm,

tks for your reply. it seems that uninvoiced item ledger entries are the item that are posted but not invoiced aren’t they…?

Also,what about costing method used?

Yes.

Don’t think it makes a great deal of difference, but I do not actually know

ILE = Item Ledger Entry

Theoretically the costing method will have no impact.

There are a number of parameters.

The way it is programmed, are actually not great - Well - Bad might be the correct word.

The problem is, that it basicly loops thrugh every and all Item Ledger Entry, to check if it needs processing. Then a second loop do the acual work.

So the longer you have Navision, the longer the process will take.

I have a friend and olc colleage, who has developed a version, that uses SQL ADO to filter for the entries needing processing, thus cutting the processing time significently. - I mean - less than half the time. - I will see if I can convince him to share that with us [A]

Hi,

Tks for your reply. if you have something new relate to my question, it’s very expected to hear.

Rgds,

would really be a nice thing having an inventory adjustment that is rather fast.

i have a customer that would need to run that batch every day, but it takes them ca. 5h each time, and because of working hours and backup things there is no 5h gap in the entire night where we could run that beast.

Basically the core issues in the adjustment routine stem from a few key points.
Firstly the adjustment routine is basically the same as the routine that was used in the DOS version of Navision. Yes its been updated, but logically (except for date handling) its about the same. I wrote an Add-On many years ago called Stock Manager, and it handled costing really well, but really only for FIFO. And that was the market it was written for. In writting that Add-On, I got to understand costing really well in Navision, and that’s probably why I never recommend a client ot use Average costing in Navision. [:P] The way stock Manager worked was to maintain cost adjustments in a seperate table, whilst keeping quantities and base cost in the Item Ledger Entry Table. (This was about 5 years before Navision introduced Value Entries). When 3.00 (Solutions [W]) came out, my first though was that this was a better solution, since it gave better reporting ability for date based inventroy reports. I soon changed my mind.

In an ideal world, Navision would handle average costing in a seperate Vlaue Entry table, and process and optimize it totally differntly. And that leads to the next issue. The Adjust cost routine is a very versitile process that does everything. This means it does a great job at getting the costs right, but its checking and testing too many things, which maybe the user will never need tested. And as the system evolved, a change to Specific costing with Serial numbers affects average cost, and the fix to average cost affects standard cost, and around it goes.

The correct solution with the Cost Adjust issue, really is to start again. And to seperate functional areas and only adjust what needs to be adjusted. Beter use of flags to filter out entries that are not needed to be adjusted for example. And the routine should be configurable, so if a client decides that they will never need a particular feature, deactivate it totally, and thus simplify the process. Of course a key starting point would be to get a true definition (for Navision purposes) of what average cost actually should be, since if you get three accountants in a room together, they will produce at least four definitions of Average cost.

In the meantime as Henrik says there are many ways to improve the performance of the Inventory cost routine, unfortunately to get real performance boosts (say 10 times) then you need to optimize the code specifically to the cleint, and that means a lot of customized development work. If you are a NSC or ISV in a vertical industry, then you could justiy the cost to create a specific routine for your client base, but I think for most clients the cost would be prohibitive.

If there was a market for it, I would love to do it, but in reality, in doing something like this, the code is 5% of the project, 90% is working out the ideal design, which can’t really be protected.

If we were doing an applicative wishes list for NAV x.xx this would be the first point. [:)]

Did someone already see changes in SP2?

what do you think about them, I saw the adjust cost report has been rewritten and index in value entry table have been modified. Does this give enough improvement in performances?