table relation in Microsoft Navision

Assuming you are not talking about Darth Vader can you elaborate? I presume not!

Click here. Don’t know if it’s the same guy, though both are Stans and not really listening. [:|]

Even with the editing it made me laugh [:D]

This one sort of gives it away… http://dynamicsusers.org/forums/post/7129.aspx

is this forum just only for the expert?
for your information i’m not foolish as you guess on me…
i usually tried everything with the database in local first…

what do you mean?

No. But you should listen to the experts.
Anybody is welcome here!

okey then…
it seemed not because i’m not listening to the experts here
maybe because my english is not very good at all
so… please be understanding of a situation :slight_smile:
thanx anyway for all of your answer

argh… no comment.

(this post should include David’s quote but forgot to add it :()

Hello,

I’m new to MBS Navision but I’ve already learned a lot through reading on this site. Great site!!
My question: The discussion about altering data directly (actually NOT directly) does that concern only the native Navision database or also the SQL Server database?
This might be an odd question, but as I’m new to Navision… [:)]

Thx, Luk.

Hi Luk,

Sorry I’ve just seen this.

We are discussing altering data directly into the SQL Tables, or inserting/deleting.

The business logic for “Navision” is stored IN Navision.

So lets be explicit here, we are advising NOT to go into the SQL Enterprise Manager/Management Studio and edit the data in those table, either directly, via DTS, Scripts, Queries what ever. You should do it IN Navision.

We are not saying there is never a case to do it directly in SQL, but until you know Navision its not recommended.

You could add data directly to a Navision Table in Navision so long as its developed right and the business logic is in the right place (I say right because normally code should be on the table, but there are circumstances it is else where, i.e. Forms)

Hope that answer’s your question.

/TH

Thanks for your answer Tony!

It partly answers my question. If I’m well informed, there are 2 options concerning the type of database: a Navision database or a SQL server database. Now, the advise not to edit directly, does that apply to both options? (I expect it to be so for both actually)
And then, since it is not permitted directly, how is it possible to add, edit or delete data in Navision, from a third party application? Through a webservice or the codeunits I’ve read about?

Best regards, Luk.

You can do it in a few ways.
Read about C/FRONT (C tool with which you can access Navision but through navision business logic)
Read about Dataports / XMLPorts (executing within Navision but for exchange of data)
Read about OCXs, message queues (for this I recommend to read more on Dynamicsuser or mibuso.com, cause of better explanations and user-cases).

Ofcourse you may alter tables directly (Native or SQL version, irrelevant!) but you will have to be sure what are you changing and which consequences you may expect.

Thank you phenomenon.

In the meantime I’ve found an article on msdn (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms952182.aspx). Is this one of the options you suggest or is this an extra option? Or maybe not what I need?

Yes, you are on right way. This would be my third numbered solution with message queues and xmls…
But, it all depedens on what you are trying to achieve. This solutions is somehow complicated (it need NAS “Navision Application Server” to be set, which is nothing else but guiless navision client that is on 24/7 run), for some problems, simple dataport could be quite enough.

Allright! What I’m trying to achieve is to get some of Navision (data and functionality) on a mobile device. Is it possible with the dataport you think?

Hm… dataports works with txt files, manly csv’s, xmlports with xml ofcourse. If on your mobile device, exsists some kind of xml or csv txt file (or you can make it) than that is enough for data. That is manual transfer, which means, no event triggers to fireup that dataport/xmlport (though it can be done in some way…). Otherwise you should reconsider connection with some ocxs or message busses. (Must confess, other would be more helpfull there than me.)

As for functionality, that depends on type of mobile device. maybe that device is able to run navision and with adjusted forms you may have fully capable application.

I’m afraid the devices are unable to run Navision as they don’t have a Windows OS. So I think I’ll have to study some more on the ocxs/message queues option you suggest.

Thanks a lot for your help so far!!

Best regards, Luk.

Hi Luk,

Have you had a look at the ADCS? That comes on the Navision install disk.

The manual is in the Doc’s directory. I’ve never installed or seen it running, hey I haven’t even used it. But it is for communicating with handheld devices.

Terminal services is a solution I have seen. Terminal servicing in from the handheld device to a server than runs Navision. you say the handhelds are not running Win but is there a Terminal Services App you could run on them?

/TH

Hello Tony,

I’ve just taken a look at ADCS but I don’t think it’s what I need. The preface in the manual says “Navision ADCS is aimed at companies that need to use handheld devices in their warehouse processes”. The users I’m developing for are managers and sales people. Devices are BlackBerry devices. I will need to connect to Navision over the internet in order to have access to the same information as users in the office.
And also, I don’t expect the Blackberry devices to support Windows Terminal Services.

So, back to message queues and ocxs (the article on msdn) I’m afraid, but correct me if I’m wrong!!!

My best regards, Luk.