Table locked

We have been running into big problem. We are getting the following suggestions too frequently.
When we are trying to post a sales invoice, the suggestion we get is
“The G/l Entry Table cannot be changed because it is locked by another user. Wait until the user is finished and then try again.”
When trying to delete the component from the production order, the suggestion we get is
“The reservation Entry table cannot be changed because it is locked by another user. Wait until the user is finished and then try again”
When trying to release the production order, the the suggestion we get is
“The item table cannot be changed because it is locked by another user. Wait until the user is finished and then try again.”
When trying to reserve the item on sales order, the suggestion we get is
“The reservation Entry table cannot be changed because it is locked by another user. Wait until the user is finished and then try again”
When trying to post the purchase invoice, the suggestion we get is

These issues are getting really serious. The number of cases per day has become more than 1000. Please advise something.

I restarted the whole server the day before. I did not shut down the server for a while though. I just restarted. The performance did not change a lot. It has been almost 2 months. We started researching and tracking the whole process after that. Since then the average number of cases have been 1000 or more per day on the basis of every user that post the transaction gets 100 messages a day.
So far I remember we have not done any SQL insert on the tables. We have created few reports in SRS and the information is pulling from the views we have created. We have been doing this for 6-9 months. We too created some reports like that in last 2 months. We have been using item, sales header,sales line,Production order Header/line, purchase header, purchase line, reservation entry, sales invoice header and sales invoice line table to create views. But we are not inserting or writing any data using the reports into SQL. We are pulling the data from the table and putting into the views and we are using those views data for reporting in SRS. The only update we did using SQL was customer table field customer price group, territory code (2 weeks before) and in the item table updated the field status (Have been doing this for 6 months).
Other than this we have not done anything from our IT side. In case of users they just enter data and post the data from Navision and not from anywhere else.
We did not have such problem before 2 months. May be we had few but it was unnoticed, now it is persistent.

Any suggestions will be really appreciated.

Thanks
Sar

Hi,

well, maybe this could help you to get some clues (and solutions) about those blocks:

http://dynamicsuser.net/blogs/stryk/archive/tags/Locking/default.aspx

Cheers,

Jörg

hii…

i have the same problem with my NAV 5…and then i got my problem solve :D/ :D/

i kick the other user that use my ID login…(file–>database–>information—>sessions—>and lookup)

and then wooss…there is no problem again…

REASON :

maybe the other person user my ID and we edit the same thing…

My feeling is that your view are huge and can block the systems, I had a problem like your and I develop the following approach:

1. create view or query with dirty read (on production database)

2. create a staging area on the DWH and do the query on it leaving the prod env less stressed

Hope it can help you or give some hits…

My first question is are you seeing a full-Table lock, or is this locking on the same set of data between two sessions to the database?

Next, approximately how many rows are in the problematic table(s)?

SQL Server will escalate to a table-level lock if certain situations occur.

Hi all.
i’m newbie. now, i have a problem about nav. when cashier paymented & post invoid on POS, systems is slowly and error:
“the transaction header table cannot be changed because it is locked by another user. wait until the user is finished and then try again”

Please help me. thanks for all.

there are many promotion in my system and i think it’s a reason???

Well, in my previous reply I referred to my BLOG where you’ll find lots of info how to deal with blocks/deadlocks in NAV (there’s also links to a recorded session video demonstrating those things).

First step must be to set up the technical framework properly, e.g. having all the required switches in place: ROWLOCK if you are running 64bit with more than 8GB RAM; REPEATABLE READ if you have the required NAV build version

Second step is to identify the exact circumstances of the blocks: who is blocking whom, which table, which index, which query, when, how often, etc. …

Once knowing all this, then we could discuss potential solutions …