Tab Order

[?] Now i know you all have answered this before, but i am sorry to say that your answers did not really help me out any. I know that you can use the next control feature to force a slight tab order. But that only works for a normal forward progresson of tabs. I need to be able to set the reverse tabs as well, if at all possible. I also have run into a problem where the normal user interface has not reset my form when i added in new controls. [?]

in “next control” you can define the control ID , which could be forward or backward, so if you are on control 2 and define next control as 1, then TAB will be backward.

quote:

Originally posted by BryanFON
[?]I also have run into a problem where the normal user interface has not reset my form when i added in new controls.[?]

Did you perform changes to a form in a live environment? If you did - and there were users already using this form before the changes occured - these users will have the form object cached in their client program and will only get the newer object version after restarting the client. This applies to all application objects except tables where design changes are immediately applied.

quote:

Originally posted by naveenjain
in “next control” you can define the control ID , which could be forward or backward, so if you are on control 2 and define next control as 1, then TAB will be backward.

OK. Assume your example. You are on control2 and you press TAB which will bring you to control1. NOW press shift-TAB. It leads you everywhere. For my thinking ‘backward’ would be the ‘shift-TAB’ which should point to control2.

quote:

When i said that i need to be able to tab backwards, i meant that i need to be able to access the Shift + Tab fuctionality that will allow you to tab BACK to the place that you just came from. I was asking for information on the FULL fuctionality of the tab key, forward & backward.

quote:

Originally posted by walter@kirz

quote:

OK. Assume your example. You are on control2 and you press TAB which will bring you to control1. NOW press shift-TAB. It leads you everywhere. For my thinking ‘backward’ would be the ‘shift-TAB’ which should point to control2.

YES!! ThanXX My point & my thoughts exactly. But i really do not think that they have included that BASE fuctionality in this program.

quote:

Originally posted by nelson

quote:

[?]I also have run into a problem where the normal user interface has not reset my form when i added in new controls.[?]

Did you perform changes to a form in a live environment? If you did - and there were users already using this form before the changes occured - these users will have the form object cached in their client program and will only get the newer object version after restarting the client. This applies to all application objects except tables where design changes are immediately applied.

Regardless of if i made the change in a live system or a development system, i would be able to have the most up to date fuctionality. But that is not the case, no matter if i exited out of the program & then back in to make sure that i had the most up to date version it was the same. The tab orders did not get refreshed to a default tab order of left to right followed by top to bottom. & i have come across this on many forms that have been created, or that i have created.

Bryan, I’m not sure if I’m reading your issue correctly. In Navision, the “default tab order” on a card form is from top to bottom starting in the left column and then it will go to the top right control and work it’s way to the bottom again. In a table (grid) form, the default is left to right and then it will go down to the next row. To be honest with you, I’ve never had the need to change the NextControl property on a field in a grid - I just position them in the order that I want the user to use them. I have used a property (that I can’t think of the name right now) to have the system skip the tab for a field in a grid, but it does allow the user to use the arrow keys to get to it if they need it. Good Luck.

quote:

Originally posted by nelson

quote:

Regardless of if i made the change in a live system or a development system, i would be able to have the most up to date fuctionality. But that is not the case, no matter if i exited out of the program & then back in to make sure that i had the most up to date version it was the same. The tab orders did not get refreshed to a default tab order of left to right followed by top to bottom. & i have come across this on many forms that have been created, or that i have created.

quote:

Originally posted by MarkKeener
Bryan, I’m not sure if I’m reading your issue correctly. In Navision, the “default tab order” on a card form is from top to bottom starting in the left column and then it will go to the top right control and work it’s way to the bottom again. In a table (grid) form, the default is left to right and then it will go down to the next row. To be honest with you, I’ve never had the need to change the NextControl property on a field in a grid - I just position them in the order that I want the user to use them. I have used a property (that I can’t think of the name right now) to have the system skip the tab for a field in a grid, but it does allow the user to use the arrow keys to get to it if they need it. Good Luck.

Yes i understand that there is the default tab order, & it goes from left to right & then top to bottom. But if you add in any new controls to that form, that default order is now messed up. Because that default tab order works off of the control ID number. Which by default on creation of a form goes from left to right top to bottom. But if you remember this function that you had used that would allow you to skip a control that might be helpful.

Bryan, There’s a NextControl, but there is no PreviousControl. I know what you mean, and unfortunately it is not possible in Navision. For some reason Shift+Tab does not find the control that has the current controls’s number as the NextControl number. The behaviour of Shift+Tab is predictable though, it’s the exact reverse of the default tab order if you don’t change the numbers. [Sigh…] HTH