Super bills and modular bills

Dear All, From this website: http://www.apics.org/APICS/Bookstore/ProductList.aspx?CatalogNavigationBreadCrumbs=APICS+Bookstore;MRP%2FDRP%2FERP&CategoryName=MRP%2FDRP%2FERP&showtop=true&query= I’ve got this statement : From structuring simple BOMs to creating phantom bills, modular bills, and super bills, the participant will learn many ways to use BOMs, I wonder if Navision can create modular bills and super bills and in what type of manufacturing use that bills ? (make-to-order, make-to-Stock, process flow manufacturing or job-order). Any answers will welcome. rgds, Mark

Hi Mark It is not necessarily the business, but the nature of the stock holding. If you actually assemble a part but NEVER stock it, it is referred to as a phantom. In Navision terms this is a Production BOM, the part is driven through to only ever look at the components. A modular bill would be considered straightforward, an item is an item, a super bill has phantoms, although I have not heard it referred to as a super bill before, and this may also be the phantom bill, although I would categorise this as the bill of the phantom you are making. Reading a summary of a book and trying to extrapolate informaiton and apply it to Navision is going to give you many many headaches. You need to know Navision, and the arena you are selling into. Knowing neither will cause you massive problems.

Dear Steven, All, Tks a lot for your reply and suggestion. I am really headache with Navision, I mean Navision is an ERP system but some of ERP business process is not included in it. That’s the point that it makes me wonder and headache. For example, if a company use modular bill or super bill, so what they will use in navision, but if Navision manual tells that the problem is solved. The ERP business processes are very wide and have so many things relate to Industry, service, etc, from Supply Chain (SC), CRM etc… rgds, Mark

Well, I do not think, that any ERP Software covers every aspect, that a business can think of. And if there was such a software, then the configuration would probably be pretty challenging. From my point of view, Navision covers quite a lot of different processes (and that is not including all the add-ons that are allready available), and usually there are many ways to handle the same aspect of a business process (like selling or manufacturing products, handling vendor accounts and so on). Of course, sometimes a company has ways of handling their processes, that can not be done exactly that way in Navision. In that case, you will have to find out whether or not this process gives them an edge against their competitors, or if they can change their processes. If that is not possible, either you program the process for them in Navision, or they will have to look for a system, that fits their needs better. But a lot of times, I have found, that the required processes are allready there to be used, maybe under a different name than that used in a certain book or by the prospective customer. My advice would be to get your customers process, and then try to figure out a couple of ways how to handle that in Navision. Maybe it will not be enough to read the manual, but tr out and see what happens when you do certain things (the debugger might come in handy for that task).

Hi Mark Yor real headache seems to be coming from not knowing Navision judging by all the postings you have made. Tell me where Navision does not handle the bills of material you require?