Star Wars vs. Star Trek

So the new topic. Which one is better… Star Wars or Star Trek … I’ll start off with Star Wars just for Princess Leia Organa and now of course Padme… a gratuitous reason i know… but nevermind… I also am looking to purchase a lifesize cutout of Leia in Jabba’s slave outfit… Star Trek sucks!!

I’d have to agree. I’ve always found Star Trek quite dull and pretentious. When I was at college, there was a Star Trek club. I don’t know what they did but I stuck my head in once and saw them discussing a diagram of a Klingon brain. I understand that there is a degree course now to study Klingon language. How wrong is that? Star Wars is just good fun, with a mystical element that makes it more interesting. Well, there you have my humble opinion. The score so far: Star Trek:0, Star Wars:2.

Star Trek always seems to involve one of the crew becoming possessed/acting oddly/meeting an alternative version of themselves, something Red Dwarf parodied very well. It also takes most of the episode for them to do something about it too… The score so far: Star Trek:0 Star Wars:3 -------------------------------- Edward Bloomfield Navision Support Consultant Cambridge Online Systems Limited www.cambridgeonline.net

I always liked the original Star Trek. For something produced in the 1960’s it was very much ahead of its time in terms of treating science fiction with some sort of seriousness. No “cute kids” or “smartass robots”. But the later versions have failed to catch my interest (although I wouldn’t mind assimilating with 7 of 9! ) As Edward points out, they have a limited repertoire of storylines that get repeated. However, that is the fundamental difference between ST & SW. ST has to come up with lots of hour long chunks which have to have a beginning-middle-end. SW on the other hand has the luxury of a bigger budget to spread over just 2.5 hours and has a number of storylines that stretch over more than one film. If SW was a series, it would quickly have the same problems as ST because you would only be able to afford a limited set of actors and you would have to stretch out the number of storylines. You would also have to churn them out on a production line basis. Can I vote for both? Cheers, John

Well, if there are issues with not being able to find new storylines, then maybe they should stop making them?! Even putting the storyline aside, I still prefer SW just in terms of the general mythos of it. So SW is still leading 3 votes to 0, or 4 to 1, if we count John’s voting.

Did anybody ever have a limb lopped off in star trek and then have a new one made…assimilating by 2 by 4 or whatever she’s called doesn’t count!! I think it’s 4-1, but i can vote again cause i started the post so 5-1!! ---- England v Germany!!! Alright!!

however it is, i find the new star wars movie, episode 2 attack of the clones, SUCK big time… i would rather watch the 3 original episodes of star wars; star wars, empire strikes back and return of the jedi anytime.

My opinion: Star Trek realy stinks … every alien species look like humans in carneval, they communicate in similar languages, all planets have earthlike atmosphere, gravitation, and so on … BORING! In Star Wars (the classics!) there’s more fantasy, action and a real story … but the new Episodes are just a senseless serie of special effects … By the way: I’ve heard, that this year a new Start Trek spin off will start (in US); a “Prequel”, the story is placed about 100 years before Kirk & Co.! Has anybody seen a preview or something? Joerg A. Stryk Apollo-Optik, IT/ERP

IMHO then you can’t really compare the two shows. Both are great - they are very different. Star Wars is a great action adventure movie - just placed on far planet. Great movies, great stories. Star Trek is more a sci-fi movie. When I watch it it’s much easier to relate to the charaters, their stories, and the adventures they are going thru. Basically most of the stories could be in many other non sci-fi shows. If to vote what I prefer then Star Trek is my favorite, except the Deep Space Nine show - that really sucks! I have never seen the all new show that just finished the first season - does anyone know this? Best regards, Erik P. Ernst, webmaster

I believe it is difficult to compare the two. Star Wars takes place in the distant past and has a fairy tale good vs. evil theme. It does not attempt to do anything other than tell a story. It is cool because of the amount of action and mythic quality. Star Trek takes place in the future and attempts to paint a picture of would things could be like. Star Trek is cool because it is interesting to think that things would be like that 300 years from now, but it does get pretentious. Next Generation series was by far the best. Devin W. McMahon, MCDBA

I actually like both and I’ve watched and enjoyed all the Star Trek series. The newest show is called Enterprise. For those who only prefer Star Wars - think of how predictable Star Wars would it be if it was on every week for 5-7 years. Thus, it would also be easy to run out of story lines. I shudder to think of seven or eight hour long story lines about Jar Jar. However, I’d probably even endur that just because I enjoy the sci-fi shows. By the way there have been a lot more good looking women on Star Trek than Star Wars.

quote:

Originally posted by mctester: By the way there have been a lot more good looking women on Star Trek than Star Wars.

Truely NOT an unimportant fact! Best regards, Erik P. Ernst, webmaster

I, too, have enjoyed both the Star Wars movies and Star Trek franchise. I think that Star Wars is very good at filling the “brain candy” market, but Star Trek is more substance. Of course, anyone who is an Original Series hardcore would think that I’m blowing it out my rear when I way that the latest Star Treks have had substance, but I would argue that anyday. I guess it depends on what you need from your entertainment. For the few of you talking about the newest Star Trek series, it’s ENTERPRISE, it is set about 150 years before Kirk, and it has a fantastic cast lead by Scott Bakula (remember Quantum Leap?), who is an “Original Series” diehard. Most of the cast had grown up with the Original Series, and they seem to remain true to that. Plus, it doesn’t hurt that there are plenty of gratuitous flesh shots. Now here’s a shameless plug: Toronto Trek 16 Canada’s Largest Science Fiction Event July 5-7, 2002 · Regal Constellation Hotel Toronto Trek is a weekend long event featuring all genres of Science-Fiction and Fantasy including Film, Television, Literature, Art, Anime, Music, Models, Gaming and all Related Hobbies. Visit http://www.tcon.ca for more details. Regards! Kristopher Webb Kelar Corporation - Canada Edited by - Kristopher on 2002 Jun 03 17:01:47

Can I just say that Red Dwarf puts both of them in the shade and pops both series pretentious bubbles. It is truly reassuring to think that maybe in the future there still will be nothing more important than Vindaloo and Lager. Forget the Empire’s trade embargo or the Klingon Battlecruiser off the starboard bow - where are the poppadoms?

Although I quite liked Captain James Kirk & Spock, really it was because of the ‘naff’ factor that made it so appealing. Another reason why I use to like the old series of Batman (with Adam West!). So I would say Star Wars every time. And I mean the ‘old’ Star Wars, not Episode 1. I can’t comment on the recent film, but people have told me it’s quite good. Any other comments?

It seems like everyone has forget one small thing: Star Trek has become more than a Sci-Fi-Series. It is a way to live. I started with Star Trek as I was 12y. old. Now I am 23 :wink: I like SW, B5 and Star Trek. Star Trek is my fav. so I vote for it! I saw already th first 6 Episodes of the new Series “Enterprise” and it seems to become good. My fav still is DEEP SPACE NINE. I think SW-EP2:Attack of the Clones sucks really ;)) But the action took good place g Its not that wrong that people can now study the Klingon language. Why should it be wrong? Others study thig like witches,magicians or whatever. Everything that gives us somekind of Wings to fly away from our boring world can be god. I dont want to learn Klingon but I also doesnt want to use 90% of my spare-time for discussing the way of a Jedi ;)) The most find a “easy” way for living their fav! Some not :wink: Ben Benjamin Crause webmaster@amargosasun.de Germany

It’s not the learning Klingon part that’s wrong, it’s the fact that in some places people are doing degrees in it - that’s too much time on something essentially useless. The difference is that those who study witchcraft are probably doing it either for hostrical or cultural research or because they actually believe in it - neither of these can be applied to Klingonology (or whatever it is…). So yeah, learning the Klingon language is a great thing for fanboys to do, but to make it your primary activity? I think that crosses the line between escapism and an inability to face real life. And no, I don’t believe in the Force :wink:

I believe in The Force. I had to use it this morning to open the jam lid while i sit on my lazy ass and watch the cricket!!

Join the police and feel the power of the force. On the other hand, you may be a redneck Jedi if … 1) You ever used the phrase, “May the force be with y’all.” 2) Your Jedi robe is camouflage pattern 3) You have ever used your light sabre to open a bottle of beer 4) At least one wing of your X-Wing is primer coloured. 5) You have bantha horns on the front of your landspeeder. 6) You can easily describe the taste of an Ewok. 7) You have ever had an X-Wing up on blocks in your yard. 8) The worst part of spending time on Dagobah is the damn skeeters. 9) Wookies are offended by your B.O. 10) You have ever used the force to get yourself another beer so you didn’t have to wait for a commercial. 11) You have ever used the force in conjunction with fishing/bowling. 12) Your father has ever said to you, ‘Shoot, son come on over to the darkside. it’ll be a hoot.’ 13) You have ever had your R-2 unit use its self-defence electro-shock thingy to get the barbecue grill to light. 14) You have a confederate flag painted on the hood of your landspeeder. 15) You ever fantasised about Princess Leia wearing Daisy Duke shorts. 16) You have the doors of your X-wing welded shut and you have to slide in through the window. 17) Although you had to kill him, you kinda thought that Jabba the Hutt had a pretty good handle on how to treat his women. 18) In your opinion, that Darth Vader fellow ‘just ain’t right.’ 19) You have ever referred to Darth Vader’s evil empire as ‘them damn Yankees.’ 20) You have a cousin who bears a strong resemblance to Chewbacca. 21) You suggested that they outfit the Millennium Falcon with a redwood deck. 22) You were the only person drinking Jack Daniels on the rocks during the cantina scene. Cheers, John

Ewoks taste like chicken…best chargrilled over a barbeque. -------------------------------- Edward Bloomfield Microsoft Navision Support Consultant Cambridge Online Systems Limited www.cambridgeonline.net Edited by - EBloom on 2002 Aug 13 12:47:58