SQL SP3 Clustering

Hello, I would like to know if someone have any experience with SQL 2000 SP3. Do you know any advantage why I should install it. We are working with clusters,Attain 3.10 and WINDOWS 2000. Would be helpfull for me to know because I was told that a blue screen can happend after the installation of SQL SP3 on clusters. Thank You [8)] Vanina

As always with Service Packs, at least to my idea… Only install new service packs : - when you have an issue on your current system - when the bugfix list of the SP mentions something related to your issue. Otherwise : no go.

Hi, I would usually agree. Read the docs for SP3, which are here: Readme: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support/servicepacks/sql/2000/sp3readme.asp Readme Additions: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330022 FixList: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306908 Bear in mind that SP3 has the slammer worm fixes in and lots of other security updates which may or may not be critical to you. Anyway, hope this helps.

quote:

Originally posted by gco
As always with Service Packs, at least to my idea… Only install new service packs : - when you have an issue on your current system - when the bugfix list of the SP mentions something related to your issue. Otherwise : no go.

Also be aware that some software vendors (eg Wonderware Intouch) have not yet released the SP3. It’ not because of MS releasing a SP, that the others are able to follow in the same pace.

I’m curious - I understand that you are running SQL Server in a clusterted mode…? What type of hardware do you have, what are your number of orders/day and database size, and how is your performance? We are contemplating moving to SQL Server, running two companies. We have about 1200 orders per day. We are very wary of moving to SQL, and moving from 111 users up to 200 users. Our database is currently 60GB (after 5 years of use), and I’d like to size for maybe 180GB. Thanks!

quote:

Originally posted by Vanina
Hello, I would like to know if someone have any experience with SQL 2000 SP3. Do you know any advantage why I should install it. We are working with clusters,Attain 3.10 and WINDOWS 2000. Would be helpfull for me to know because I was told that a blue screen can happend after the installation of SQL SP3 on clusters. Thank You [8)] Vanina

I think others on this group will better advise you on hardware, but I can say that no matter what you choose, you must schedule some time to analyse bottlenecks that will probably appear when moving over to SQL from Native, with the goal of modifying keys and application code in some places. Especially the use of some FIND(’-/+’), NEXTs, SIFT keys and SIFT LevelsToMaintain, LOCKTABLE order. You only need one bad query in SQL Server to make an entire routine appear slow, and the thing is that these types of query are usually very easy to resolve. But it needs someone to find them and know what to change. Also, mutli-user problems can arise because of such queries, or because of locking order. The Troubleshooting Guide was made to help with these problems, specifically looking at the use of keys and problematic application code. You need someone available and committed to looking at such problems. You’ll end up with a nicely running system that can scale well, with a bit of effort. Ensure you are running with at least version 3.10a - preferably 3.60 with hotfix 17.