SQL 2005

Hi,

We are currently in the searching phase for a new system, although I have previously used Navision 2.6 and 3.7 I am leaning more towards staying with Navision now.

Couple of questions for people using Navision 4.0 SP2 out there and have loaded SQL 2005

1. Are you still having locking issues when multiple transactions are being processed?
  2. Are you still modifying SIFT indexes because of performance degradation?
  3. Do you feel user monitoring for purposes of performance issues have been addressed with any tools from Microsoft?

Im sure I have more questions that I will post as I go on but if I recall Microsoft was supposedly addressing these and many issues with the release of SQL 2005.

Trek On

Hi,

Our company just upgraded to 4.0 on SQL 2005. So far, we haven’t had any issues with locking while multiple transactions are taking place.

I’m unable to answer the other questions as I was hired in (and new to Navision) just prior to the upgrade process. From my short experience with Navision’s older version (2.01) it’s a total change and a lot happier working environment now.

For one thing, we were running into the issue with multiple logins from the same machine: meaning sometimes the server 2.01 would not fully log the user out so I would have to reboot the server. With SQL 2005, I have not even had to worry about it (and if I ever had to, I could just go in and kill the second login).

Secondly the backups are easier. For one, if you use Veritas (now Symantec backup) and have the SQL remote server license, you can include Navision backups right into your nightly and weekly backups.

Again though…it’s a lot better with SQL 2005.

Please do not assume that SQL 2005 is a magic box solving all of your problems.

I am happy to hear sounds of good running installations and I hear them quite often. [:)]

But I am also currently involved in a performance project regarding SQL2005.[:P]

Hi,

I do encounter locking issues with the G/L entry tables in SQL 2005 some time ago and what I did was to change the properties of all keys (except primary keys) to:

MaintainSQLIndex = No, MaintainSIFTIndex = No.

cwtan71

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, of course. In some processes, especially posting routines, NAV establishes locks which are causing conflicts. Some of the problems could be erased, some not.

2. Definitely. SIFT is causing an overhead, which is in many cases not necessary, so regarding performance optimization the SIFT structures need to be reworked.

3. I’m not sure what you are asking … ?

Best regards,

Jörg