Solution for Multiple Location

There are two kind solution for this situation : online and offline solution. For online we can use User Portal, w2K terminal services or Citrix Metaframe. For offline solution I think we can use dataport. I’m not really sure about offline solution. Can someone give me a more detail solution for this option and give me what is the major problem that I should take care if I choose this solution. Thanks. Aloi

What exactly is it you require a solution for. Its not too clear from your post

Navision is a client/server application so no matter what you use, Citrix Metaframe, W2K terminal services, all this solutions would provide you an online solution. You cannot use Navision offline. What you can do is replicate some tables to SQL, maybe using MS SQL DTS and access them using third party application, as you mentioned dataport are also one of the many options available to you. What are you trying to achieve exactly ? ###### Tarek Demiati Freelance Navision Developer Email : tarek_demiati@ureach.com Phone : + 65 - 906 787 16

Offline solutions for Navision have been around for a long time, the Lotus Notes replicator for example. The isses of offline use of Navision are not technical but more functional. Ignore the question of how your are going to do it, and concentrate on what you are trying to achive. People like Kloster-Import can help you with actually making it work. As Tarek and Simon mentioned, you need a very clear set of questions before you can start.
Some of the questions you need to ask yourself are:- What is the minimum functionality I can use off line. Keep it as simple as possible (at least in the begining).

• Define the rules for creating new document numbers.
  • Is it possible to create master files (Items Customers etc.) ONLY on the server.
  • How oftern do you need to replicate
  • Also don’t forget licensing issues
    I hope this gets you started. PS This is not a “…we should be able to finish this by next week…” type task. Make sure you warn you client that, as Tarek pointed out, Navision is not designed for offline use, so it will be a big job. Also since Tarek is not too far away, you may concider him as a resource on this project, could save you and your customer a lot of time and hassle, and in the long run that means $$$. _________________________ David Singleton Navision Consultant since 1991 <u Edited by - David Singleton on 2001 Sep 18 20:28:31

Thanks for reply, actually i just want to find out another solution that much cheaper then Online solution because in our country telocuminication cost(WAN Connection) is expensive, so I want to explore more detail about offline solution to give the right solution to the customer. Just like David said I have to ask myself about some issue, so I want to know more issue from this forum that I should give attention if I want offer offline solution to customer.

quote:

What is the minimum functionality I can use off line. Keep it as simple as possible (at least in the begining).

David I’m not clear about this one, actually this is part of my question that i want to know, so I’ll ask to this forum waht’s is the optimum functionality that I can use off line? Regards, Aloi

Thanks for reply, actually i just want to find out another solution that much cheaper then Online solution because in our country telocuminication cost(WAN Connection) is expensive, so I want to explore more detail about offline solution to give the right solution to the customer. Just like David said I have to ask myself about some issue, so I want to know more issue from this forum that I should give attention if I want offer offline solution to customer.

[quote]
What is the minimum functionality I can use off line. Keep it as simple as possible (at least in the begining). David I’m not clear about this one, actually this is part of my question that i want to know, so I’ll ask to this forum waht’s is the optimum functionality that I can use off line? Regards, Aloi

[quote]
What is the minimum functionality I can use off line. Keep it as simple as possible (at least in the begining). David I’m not clear about this one, actually this is part of my question that i want to know, so I’ll ask to this forum waht’s is the optimum functionality that I can use off line? Regards, Aloi

What kind of customer would this be for? If it was for a point of sale system then the NaviPlus POS allows for OFFLINE databases to exist at each site with replication at set periods etc. Craig Bradney Technical Manager Navision Solutions & Services, Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Email:cbradney@deloitte.com.au

Hey Aloysius , we can all probably help us if you let us know a little about what your customer is trying to achieve. As to minimal functionality, I mean things like can you just create sales orders at remote sites, and then post them at the main office, and use a simple web based app to see stock levels, or do they need more. As an aside, you should also investigate a Citrix based solution, even if it is just dial-up. _________________________ David Singleton Navision Consultant since 1991 dmks22@home.com___________

As David has said, an offline solution is a big job! I’ve developed a solution which was basically creating Sales Orders in Romania, and sending by email everyday, the orders & shipments to the head office in the UK. Sound simple?! Theoritically - yes! Practically - depending on your experience. We encountered a few problems which hadn’t been accounted for. However now the clients are very happy. Real_andi mentioned User Portal, w2k terminal services & Citrix Metaframe. I’ve not used user portal, but believe that it would require some development to have as a solution. I’ve used Citrix WinFrame and always found it to be slow and ‘clunky’. Maybe Metaframe is better??? w2k Terminal Services would be my choice of solution and we’ve found it easy to setup. It’s also free - and my clients are happy with that!