Simcrest - Logging Tool ?

Hi! We have navision 2.60 with its own database under windows nt 4.0 running Has anybody running the tool of Simcrest called ‘History Logging for Navision Attain’? Some experience? Is there a lot of programming to do for implementing that tool in our navision 2.60 system? Thanks

Lanham and Associates also has a “data change logging” add-on available. See www.lanhamassoc.com I believe it is available for V2.6 Dave Studebaker das@libertyforever.com Liberty Grove Software A Navision Services Partner Edited by - daves on 2002 Jun 04 17:00:44

Hi Fritz! A few weeks ago, I tried to get some information about this logging tool (because I would like to “upgrade” our actual - selfmade - tool). Therefore I had contact with Simcrest and also an austrian sales-partner. This is what i “learned” - my personal opinion: 1. It’s too expensive (my subjective opinion!) (1750 USD, 1 Codeunit, 2 Tables, 3 Forms) 2. It’s too much work to implement it 3. It will not work properly with NF 2.60 4. Our selfmade tool provides same/better functions I think, that this tool basicly works like this: 1. Export Rec and xRec to Textvariables, triggered in OnModify() (Remark: in NF2.60 this string isn’t longer than 260 chars, in Attain its 1024 chars, so a big record would not be exported completely in 2.60. You have to put code in every OnModify-trigger of each table you want to log) 2. Split the fields to a text-array (Remark: In NF2.60 the fields of a FORMATed record are seperated by “,” in Attain by “TAB”, so there could be trouble in NF2.60, e.g. if a textfield contains this character) 3. Compare the Rec-TextFieldArray with xRec-TextFieldArray an write a log if differences are found (Remark: I can imagine, that this would also cause a real bad performance, especially if many users are logging a the same time (TABLELOCKING!)) Well, you don’t need much dev-experience to write you own - similar - functions, triggered by OnInsert, OnModify, OnDelete, OnRename or OnValidate … Regards, Jörg Joerg A. Stryk Apollo-Optik, IT/ERP

You have forgotten, it is nesseary to have the right licence file/permission. export/import text files is integrated in a granuale of the licence. the user needs a design licence!!! well, this tool is not for everybody.

quote:

Originally posted by daves: Lanham and Associates also has a “data change logging” add-on available. See www.lanhamassoc.com I believe it is available for V2.6 Dave Studebaker das@libertyforever.com Liberty Grove Softwa

Be aware, integrating this tool without consulting your soulution center / developer can bring errors and problems. Integration new programming code, and that’s how this tool works, should always be done by looking on the existing code. Both together must work! Best regards, tiger

quote:

Originally posted by daves: Lanham and Associates also has a “data change logging” add-on available. See www.lanhamassoc.com I believe it is available for V2.6 Dave Studebaker das@libertyforever.com Liberty Grove Softwa

Theobald:

quote:

You have forgotten, it is nesseary to have the right licence file/permission. export/import text files is integrated in a granuale of the licence. the user needs a design licence!!!

Of course you need a developer-/design-license if want to add or modify objects; I assume that people who post in this developer-forum know this!! But to avoid a missunderstanding: I was not talking about ex-/importing text-FILES, I was talking about text-VARIABLES (and therefore you definitly don’t need a special license)! Regards, Jörg Joerg A. Stryk Apollo-Optik, IT/ERP

just while end-user also reading this forum: you need a special licence, also to define text-variables in navision. for that you need a design granual in the licence. never mind. best regards, tiger

quote:

Originally posted by stryk: Theobald:

quote:

You have forgotten, it is nesseary to have the right licence file/permission. export/import text files is integrated in a granuale of the licence. the user needs a design licence!!!

Of course you need a developer-/design-license if want to add or modify objects; I assume that people who post in this developer-forum know this!! But to avoid a missunderstanding: I was not talking about ex-/importing text-FILES, I was talking about text-VARIABLES (and therefore you definitly don’t need a special license)! Regards, Jörg Joerg A. Stryk Apollo-Optik, IT/ERP

Well… i don’t know about simcrest loggin tool, but here in Western Computer we’ve our own one and it’s really easy & fast to set-up on ALL tables of the application (including self-made ones). I don’t really know the price of that mod (that’s also including record locking & a powerful control security feature), but you can contact the sales department. (write an email to tomb@westerncomputer.com or call (805) 581-5020. Regards, Alfonso Pertierra (Spain)apertierra@teleline.es

3.60 will include logging Allen Beck President Beck Consulting Alameda, CA & Bellevue, WA allen@beckconsulting.com 800-456-8474