Service Monitor?

One of my clients is haveng problems with services dying on their server. I’m trying to find a utility that will monitor a service, and send an alert to a pager or e-mail if a service dies (And possibly restarting the service again)… Any ideas/suggestions? Rasmus S Pedersen TAB US, Inc.

On the Properties of each service in the Service Manager there are settings which will give you some of the options you require. Don’t look for an add-on, it’s already there :slight_smile: Lars Strøm Valsted ------------------------- Why can’t programmers tell the difference between Christmas and Halloween? Because OCT(31) = DEC(25)

The service i’m talking about is the Webshop - Mirror Job Receiver, and it dies with a Timeout connecting to the SQL server. All recovery options is set to “Restart The Service”, but when the service dies it still does not automaticly restart. Nothing is logged to the application log either Rasmus S Pedersen TAB US, Inc.

If nothing is hitting the application log, try looking to one of the other Event logs. If it doesn’t appear anywhere, you have a bigger problem. I’m not sure if that would be classified a Navision problem (not programmed properly to interface with the NT Event logs), or a Microsoft problem. I guess the other thing is to try to diagnose why it is getting a timeout to the SQL server. Which Windows platform are you running? Regards! Kristopher Webb Kelar Corporation, Canada

Nothing is hitting the application log at all… I have checked them all! Both the dispatcher and the sql server is running Win2000 server. I’m considering moving the mirror service to the SQL server. That should minimize the timeout-problems… However!!! If the mirror service dies because of data problems (ex. Record already exists), I still need to be informed somehow that a problem occured so that I can take action to fix it. Rasmus S Pedersen TAB US, Inc.

Is this the Commerce Portal service or the Web Shop Service? I had a similar problem with the CP service (however, it would restart when I set the properties in the service manager). If it is CP, then the solution I found was, unfortunately, to reinstall everything on the machine in the exact order specified by Navision. It only took a day or so :frowning: Lars Strøm Valsted ------------------------- Why can’t programmers tell the difference between Christmas and Halloween? Because OCT(31) = DEC(25)

It’s Webshop service… I guess I could try reinstalling everything on the server, but the customer does not want to be “down” for a day or so. Any other suggestions? Rasmus S Pedersen TAB US, Inc.

We run WhatsUp Gold by www.ipswitch.com I have it set to monitor the Mirror service and reset it automatically if it fails - also to notify it it cannot be restarted.

Looks like WhatsUp Gold will work, but it’s a very costly solution just for a service monitor. Does anybody know of a cheaper/simpler product out there? Rasmus S Pedersen TAB US, Inc.

I don’t consider $795 a really high priced investment considering that it keeps WebShop moving and functional. You can try it free and decide after 30 days.