Server upgrade Plus compatibility issues

Hello,

we would like to upgrade our current system with new server sbs2011 and SQL Server. Can somebody clarify that Navision 5 will run on this SQL Server system. SQL will be SQL Server 2008 Standard

Question is: Can you see any incompatibility/performance issues(10 users in NAV )?

SBS 2011 Server
Intel R1304 1U Server Platform
• Integrated 4 x Gigabit NIC
• 4 x 3.5”/2.5” SAS/SATA Hotswap bays
• Redundant 750W Power Supply
2 x Xeon E5-2620 Processor 2.0GHz 15MB cacne 7.20GT/s Six Cores
16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Registered ECC RAM
Intel RAID Module with 1GB cache with battery backup
2 x Intel SSD 520 480GB (Mirrored – hotswap)

SQL Server (SQL Server 2008 Standard)
Intel R1304 1U Server Platform
• Integrated 4 x Gigabit NIC
• 4 x 3.5”/2.5” SAS/SATA Hotswap bays
• Redundant 750W Power Supply
2 x Xeon E5-2620 Processor 2.0GHz 15MB cacne 7.20GT/s Six Cores
16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Registered ECC RAM
Intel RAID Module with 1GB cache with battery backup
2 x Intel SSD 520 240GB (Mirrored – hotswap)

Thank you Ondrej

Ondra,

NAV 5.x can run on SBS 2011 and SQL Server 2008 Standard, that will not be an issue. I however would ask that you work closely with your partner about future planning, since if you upgrade NAV, you will be moving to a 3-Tier architecture with the newer versions of NAV. In this scenario, though it would still work, it would not be optimal depending on how large of business you run as far as User counts. You need additional servers with 3-Tier and we do not recommend loading everything on one box or you will most likely have performance issues. I would also recommend SQL 2008R2 if you have that avialable just for performance reasons and looking forward. So the quick answer to your questioon is YES, it will work, but you certainly want to look into the future and see if it is the optimal solution moving forward as in 3-Tier you will want your standard dedicated SQL Server, separate Service Tier Server(s), and then your Clients loaded local or using Remote Desktop Servers.

Nick

Microsoft Dynamics NAV

Senior Escalation Engineer

Hi Nick,

thank you for your reply. I will follow up your recommendation and post back once we are through Upgrade. I am hoping that big performance improvement will be due to SSD disks.

Regards Ondra

Whether or not, and how much, you see a performance boost with SSD will depend on what your performance problems are. While better hardwar can be useful, it can also hide actual problems. Bad code may run faster on a faster server, but it’s still bad code.