Sending emails from Attain without using MAPI

Is there any way to send an email from Attain without using the Mail Codeunit 397? My client doesn’t want to setup email clients on their users.

On http://www.mynavision.net you can download an SMTP OCX. Here is the description: This little OCX enables sending ‘real’ emails from within Navision Financials. The key feature of the component is that mails of any length can be sent, there is no restriction to 255 characters as in the built-in mapi functions. Only requirement is a SMTP server where mails can be sent to. New version: Some bugfixes for carbon copy-recipients and other things. New in version 1.2: The component allows to send html mails. See my website for examples!

In Attain the restriction of the body is 255 characters but you can change it to 1024 characters if you change codeunit 397 Mail: NewMessage(ToName : Text[80];CCName : Text[80];Subject : Text[260];Body : Text[1024];AttachFileName : Text[260];OpenDialog : Boolean) MailSent : Boolean

Thanks! this is exactly what I’m looking for…and it works! I got one question though. I notice that no password was required to be specified. Is this normal? Shouldn’t there be any authentication involved? ps: I was told that this is the “characteristic” of SMTP. Is that correct? Thanks

You’re right! No wonder it’s so easy to write spamming program which fills my Hotmail account with crap [;)]

quote:

Shouldn’t there be any authentication involved? ps: I was told that this is the “characteristic” of SMTP. Is that correct? Thanks