Selling Agains SAP.

How can I pursuade somebody who has almost made up his mind to buy SAP to reconsider MBS NAVISION? It is an international orientated company with a lot of logistic specific situations. And one of his main reasons for choosing SAP is that almost all companies he works with are SAP users. So my question is what are the main advantages of MBS NAVISION over SAP except for the felxibility?

Investment Cost Maintenance Cost Much More User Friendly

Don’t follow the leader [;)].

When you go up against SAP, you are normally in one of three scenarios, a/ The client really needs a Tier 1 product, b/ The client thinks they need a Tier 1 product or c/ The client really wants a Tier 1 product. 1/ In the case of (a), stay away. Navision is not ready (yet) to take these on, though it is getting close, and with MS in charge, we will get there. 2/ In a (b) scenario, your job is to convince the client that they need to scale down. This is difficult, because if they go ahead and you are wrong, you will never have a successfull project. When a client thinks they need a Tier 1 product, but really don’t, then probably what they really want, is not the product, but the associated service and attentiaon that comes with buying one. Because of the dollars involved, a client buying SAP is going to get better perceived support. They will have a huge budget for Project management, an area where a large number of Navision projects fail. In fact most SAP implementations will spend more on Project management alone than a typical Navision implementation in total, where in fact, Project management dollars should be the same for both. (But that is a whole new thread). So to win in this case, you will have to convince the client that you have a large project team that will be dedicated to them, and most of all, guarantee that the initial project manager, implementer and development team will be the same people there a year later. 3/ Forget it, you don’t have a chance. These clients are normally the ones with “Resume Hunters”. A Resume Hunter is an employee that makes decisions based on what will look best on their resume. Your only option here is to somehow get the Company to get rid of that person, and that just is not going to happen during a sales process. There is a second category of (c), the company that beliave that they need to have a Tier 1 product because of their position or size in the market, you still really have no chance of winning here. But do try, and good luck, if you succeed, you will in the end have a very satisfied client. PS: The above remarks are a little harsh, but unfortunately true. Still to directly answer you question about how to compete against SAP, there is one fundamental flaw in Navision’s channel model that prevents them competing with SAP, and I hope that MS will fix it. Independent consultants. When you buy Navision from an NSC, you are totaly dependant on them to do the job. When you buy SAP, you go to a web site, and they give a list of independant SAP professionals that can help with your implementation. That means I can buy SAP from anywhere, and then if that Provider does not have (eg) Manufacturing experience, then I just outsource it. Imagine if I bought Navision from an NSC and then went to another NSC to install manufacturing. In the Navision world, it just won’t work. IN reality, the issue is not Navision completing against SAP, it is the SAP support structure competing against the Navision NSC network that is loosing this business. Lets hope MS will fix this, so that Navision (or Green) can compete fairly.

Hi David, We’ve just lost a prospect to MySAP, the second one. The reason given was better functionality, I bet they cut the price to the bone as well. Any ideas on how to respond to that? cheers, Dan.

I think that against MySap and other Tier One products that have moved down into our market, its tough. THey have the huge support and freelance structute in place, but they are able to package something that (up front) apears to be a better financial solution. Against the MySap market, you need to look at flexibility of Navision. But in the end these guys are going to just about give the software away, to try and keep market share.

We have had the pleasure of beating SAP in two deals, once with Great Plains and once with Axapta. So, I think that if the sales and presales strategies are played right, they are not difficult to beat. Understand the customer requirements, present a very solution that is right for the customer and get them to believe in it as much as you believe in it. Thats it, your half the battle is won. The other half is all tactical which SAP plays with higher management. You need to prepare your top management for it and guide them on it. If we could do it, I think other NSC’s can do it too. Cheers !!

Here you have a good argument from Austria: Spannendes Duell der Giganten: Microsoft Business Solutions vs. SAP Business One Am 9. Oktober stand Dornbirn im Mittelpunkt des informationstechnischen Weltinteresses. Zwei Software-Giganten traten gegeneinander an: SAP Business One, vertreten durch die ProTask Consulting und Microsoft Business Solutions-Navision, vertreten durch die KUMAvision. Vor brechend voller Kulisse - mehr als 70 Interessierte hatten sich eingefunden, darunter auch Vertreter von SAP und Microsoft Business Solutions - (Anm.d.R.: es lagen wesentlich mehr Anmeldungen vor, konnten aber wegen des begrenzten Platzangebots nicht zugelassen werden) stellten sich die beiden Teams einer Herausforderung, die es zum Thema ERP in dieser Form vor Publikum im deutschsprachigen Raum bisher nicht gab. Die auf den Test von Softwareapplikationen spezialisierte GPS GmbH hatte diese Veranstaltung initiiert und ein realistisches Business-Szenario ausgearbeitet, in dem die Teams mit ihren Systemen alle Geschäftsprozesse eines Unternehmens von Vertrieb über Verkauf, Disposition, Einkauf, Produktion bzw. Montage, Auslieferung bis zu Buchhaltung und Controlling live durchlaufen mussten. Eine objektive Jury aus Mitgliedern der Österreichischen Vereinigung für Softwarequalität und die Teilnehmer wurden am Ende der spannenden Veranstaltung getrennt um ihr Urteil gebeten. Bewertet wurden mehrere Kriterien, u.a. die Abdeckung des Anforderungsprofils, die Flexibilität der Lösungen, aber auch die Kompetenz der Teams. Sowohl bei der Jury als auch beim Publikum konnte sich Microsoft Navision in allen Wertungen mehr oder weniger deutlich vor Business One platzieren. Bei einer spontanen Entscheidung hätten sich fast 80% der Teilnehmer für die Einführung der Microsoft-Lösung entschieden. Ein besonderer Dank gilt dem Organisator und Moderator des Duells, Werner Schmid von der GPS, der ganz wesentlich zum perfekten Gelingen beitrug und den Teilnehmern eine Veranstaltung bot, die sicher eindrucksvoll in Erinnerung bleiben wird. Die Planung für eine Wiederholung der Veranstaltung (Revanche) läuft. found at: www.kumavision.at