Security filter

Hello! We have a problem-don’t work security filters( in TOOLS|SECURITTY|ROLES|PERMISSION|SECURITY FILTER) I create a new role and give it limited permissions.Then I want to limit the permissions that this role has to data about specific customers, vendors and so on. n SECURITY FILTER field I enter “TableNo”:“FieldNo”=filter I want to apply.Then I create the new database login and give to this login new role. After it I think that the next time a user who has been given this role accesses the database they will only be able to see data that conforms to the criteria that have been specified in the security filter. But it don’t work If you can help me to solve this problem

Hi, as far as I know the security filters work only with a SQL- database. It is another bug (ahem feature!). Andre

It’s not a bug. Read the original announcement message for Attain: "Navision Attain 3.00 offers an enhancement of the permission system. The feature gives customers the possibility to give users limited access to a specific table. This is a feature that is relevant if customers wish to give a sales assistant access to the customer table, but the sales assistant is only allowed to see information regarding a specific set of customers. With Record Level Security, the administrator is able to specify a set of filters that will be set before the user is able to see the data. Record Level Security is a feature for Microsoft SQL Server option for Navision Attain 3.00 only, and it will be a part of granule 1,410 Permissions. The price for granule 1,410 Permissions will remain "

Hi Lars, ok it is not a bug, but for me (from user view) it is never user-friendly to show options which can’t execute by the user. A filter in Attain suggest a possibilty to set a filter. And not:

if SQLDatabase = True
  Then 'You're welcome [:)]'
  Else 'Go away [}:)]';

And - of course there is no information in the help file. The bug exact is (IMHO): show security filter with native database [;)]. Andre

Hi Denisov, If you are using SQL Option. I have experienced similar behaviour but in most cases, the Security Filter set on the role by me was deleted(surprisingly). {After typing, i moved to next row to make sure that data is saved but still…). This could be one reason. Try to login again and check if the data is saved or not. But the feature is working though it has another problem, that is when you apply security filter its working fine as far as only “Read” operations are performed on the table but if you have defined other permissions(I,M,D) then its not working. Me 2 still checking. Regards[V]

Hi Denisev, I dont know if your problem still persists. If so, keep reading, it might help. You are applying filters to a particular table and it doesn’t work. Check for all the roles that user has, and find out if this ‘Table’ is there in any of those roles. If so, either remove the tables from that roles, or add this security filter to that role. The permissions & filters in Navision are ‘Additive’ in nature. Best of Luck.

quote:

Originally posted by Andre DDB
Hi, as far as I know the security filters work only with a SQL- database. It is another bug (ahem feature!).

Damn, I just lost 2 hours trying to set some security filters in my 3.7 native DB![:(!] It’s still only for SQL, even in 3.7 guys!

quote:

Originally posted by lstroem
It’s not a bug. Read the original announcement message for Attain:…

Actually, it is a bug![V] Even if they say it only works in SQL Server Option, well, it doesnt. Ive been trying to set it for about a month now. Ive been searching for the bug and found a lot of weird stuff going on. Maybe another hot fix will come out and help us (I hope [8)]). PS: Im using 3.60. I tried in 3.70 too. No use. Same problems.

Hi, Denisov! From MS knowledge Base: ‘Security Filters’ have been designed to only work with the Navision SQL Server database option. >>Forms When a Form is opened from a command button or menu item using the Properties to run the Form, C/SIDE automatically applies Record Level Security Filters to the main record variable used in the Form. >>Reports or Dataports When a Report or Dataport is opened from a command button or menu item using the Properties to run the Report or Dataport, C/SIDE will automatically apply record level Security Filters to all the record variables used in Request Filter tabs. What about Calling Forms, Reports, or Dataports in code? Security Filters will not be supported when called from code. What about global or local variables? C/SIDE does not apply Record Level Security Filters to user defined global and local variables. You must call Rec.setPermisionFilter always before use a record variable in your C/AL code.

It works fine, just keep in mind you can only filter on the proimary key.

quote:

Originally posted by David Singleton
It works fine, just keep in mind you can only filter on the proimary key.

Where did u get that information from ? [:0]I red all the documentation on SQL Server Option and Scurity filters in permissions and there was nothing there about this. Actually I can prove this is kind of wrong! I tried these filters on tables made by me,opeing forms made by me, on fields that were surely not primary keys. It worked. The only problem is that it doesn`t work on navision tables (no<50000) or when opening navision forms (<50000).I also tried on primary keys - no use. There is also a topic on this (older). If you can help me with this I would realy apreciate it. I know some people in Bulgaria and they have the same problem. Nobody found any solution to this, yet.[:D]

2 Gigi Duru: I have encountered with this strange behavior… Message:bla bla bla …The current user is not the database or object owner of table… Cannot perform SET operation. Try grant to user DB_OWNER rights on database in MS SQL Enterprise Mangager.

Also, i had some other troubles with security filters, but now- all OK. Implementation sucsefully completed :slight_smile: If you have questions- i ll try to help you. Post me, screenshoots welcome:)

Lanham and Associates have a record and field level security add-on. You might want to check it out at www.lanhamassoc.com. We’re currently not using this product (yet) so I can’t say how good it is (looks good). I can say, however, we have a number of Lanham’s products and they are generally pretty good stuff. I don’t think this add-on is pricey either.

quote:

Originally posted by AlexanderS
Also, i had some other troubles with security filters, but now- all OK. Implementation sucsefully completed :slight_smile: If you have questions- i ll try to help you. Post me, screenshoots welcome:)

I dont have the problem that ure talking about. That problem appears only when u install the database with the option “members of dbowner…” checked, and I didnt check it. The problem that I have is about security filters only: I set the filter on the table and I get the message "You dont have permissions to read the … table. Contact ure bla-bla...". If I set filters on tables created by me they work. I even tried to copy a table and set identical security filters. In my table (the copy) it works, in the original (navision) it doesnt. Im pretty sure its a bug. I tried all hotfixes - no good. Any ideea ?

quote:

Originally posted by speetz
Lanham and Associates have a record and field level security add-on. You might want to check it out at www.lanhamassoc.com. We’re currently not using this product (yet) so I can’t say how good it is (looks good). I can say, however, we have a number of Lanham’s products and they are generally pretty good stuff. I don’t think this add-on is pricey either.

Thats quite a delicate problem.[:o)] Weve already started the implementation. Were about to end it. I dont think they would agree to pay extra for a bug that we cant fix... Im gonna check it out anyway. 10x a lot [;)]

I have only one question: Can Calcfields function use Security Permission Filter? I think thats impossible.

quote:

Originally posted by rmv
I have only one question: Can Calcfields function use Security Permission Filter? I think thats impossible.

Maybe if you can make security filters work… you might have a chance to find out [;)][:)]