Rotated text

Does anybody know a way to get rotated text on reports? Would like to show a decent name above a narrow column (i.e. item name above a column of numbers sold). TIA John Tegelaar

Try creating the text as a graphic in Paint, CorelDraw, Photoshop, etc. Rotate, save it, and bring it into Navision as an image file.

The only drawbacks to that is that you would get pretty lousy resolution, and if you wanted to use the Item name as indicated in the request, you would have to create a botmap for every item in the database, and store it, maintain it, etc. I think the only practical way to get rotated text on reports is to use some other report writer. -jp

Floyd, you don’t want to print graphics in reports. Graphics seem to be restricted to screen resolution (72 dpi or so), and produce real ugly results when printed on you high-res printer. We have comparable problems at a customer who wants to print an electronic signature (report output is PDF file) and we haven’t found a way yet to get this picture in a decent resolution. If somebody knows the “magic word” please respond!

Rotated teat is quite easy. You should insert ‘’ after each symbol (Symbol ‘’ means new line) and set Text Box option MultyLine = Yes. As Examle string ‘T\e\s\t’ will look like. T e s t Valentin Gvozdev BMI Inc.

Inserting NewLine after each character does not realy give you rotated text. The big drawback this method comes when you realize that printing the Item.“No.” field in this manner means that you have to leave 20 lines in the header to allow for the maximum string length. -jp

To John Tegelaar: You should just create a biger image which correspond to zhe printer resolution e.g. 1 inch per 1 inch = 300 x 300 pixels and than save the image with 300dpi resolution (Ms PhotoEditor is not able to save other than 72 dpi) or you can change it manualy in any hex editor. The right values for .bmp image are on offset &h26: 23 2E 00 00 23 2E 00 00

Won’t call myself an expert in graphic formats, but as far as I know each pixel is represented by one (2, 3) bytes in a bitmap. Changing “resolution” of a bitmap means adding more pixels, making the picture larger. With a decent program for printing, the size of the bitmap is scaled to the physical size of printing, using as many pixels from the bitmap as the printer can show. Hence, a 640 x 480 bitmap is large on screen, but when printed without sizing, it will be rougly 2,5 x 2 cm on paper. Unless you can show me an alternative, I believe Navision is restricted to using screen-resolutions. You specify the size of the picturebox at designtime, but you’ll get the same picture on paper as you see on screen, there is no scaling done.

Sorry John, you’re not right - change the the print size actually works. And I would have believed that you knew that already. You where part of this thread: Link where the same issue was discussed. I used Paint Shop Pro 5. Resize image, but select only to resize actual/print size. Then it will show it the 72dpi format in Navision but print ok, exactly as you saved it. ============ Best regards, Erik P. Ernst, webmaster Navision Online User Group

Thanks. I have tried PaintShop resizing, but got no difference. Perhaps I used the wrong method. Will try again. For what’s worth: I got a plain “no” from Navision Support as reply to a similar question about printing in higher resolutions. John

Your answer at Navision just tells you that they also are just human: They make mistakes too. ============ Best regards, Erik P. Ernst, webmaster Navision Online User Group

Erik, I’m feeling stupid now. I used PaintShop (Pro 6.0) to resize a picture to an actual/printed size of 6 x 2 cm at 300 DPI, just like you said. Printed with PaintShop, the size on paper is correct. But in Navision the same picture shows up as about 4-5 times too large, on screen as well as on print-preview as when printed (either printed directly or through preview). Or, in other words, the picture is treated by Navision as if it is still in 72 DPI. Also tried to load the picture (and recalc the blob) just before actual printing takes place. Nothing helps. Where did I go wrong? John