Restore error-There is no more available space on

While trying to restore a backup of our database I receive the following error: There is no more available space on the disk/diskette. This message refers to the file . Please use another disk/diskette or delete some files. The database I backed up is a 10 GB database at 85% capacity. I have attempted restoring it into a blank 10 GB, 12 GB and 16 GB database but receive the same error every time. In addition to the blank database I create, there is still at least 16 GB of free space on the disk I am restoring to. The DBMS cache setting for the database I’m restoring into is 100,000 KB. Why am I getting this error message and how do I fix the problem? Is it a server issue - i.e. server is not powerful enough? We have Navision running on a Windows NT 4.0 machine, 450 MHz, 512 MB RAM, Intel Pentium II Zeon.

You probably don’t have enough room for the temporary file that Navision creates when sorting keys.

quote:

Originally posted by David Singleton
You probably don’t have enough room for the temporary file that Navision creates when sorting keys.

David - First off, a HUGE thank you for taking the time to reply. I think you’ve hit it. I felt something like this was going on because the restore process always fails while it’s recreating the keys (particularly during the processing of Table 17 which is one of our largest tables). Now the real question - what do I do to create more room for the temporary file? More disk space? A higher DBMS cache setting? A new server? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Our Navision service provider has been working on this for two weeks with no results. You were able to spot the problem with one short narrative from me - amazing.

Hey, you have to give the drive, where your navision server programm is installed (and running), more space. How much depends on your table with the most records and keys. We had the same problem a couple of years ago, so we monitored during the recreating of the keys the growing of the temp file to see how much space is needed, and than enlarged the drive space accordingly. I found that on our NT - Server the temp file is created in the c:\winnt directory and on our HP-UX server the temp-file is created in the /tmp directory. Fred

From memory, you need 1.6 time the size of either the total table, or the size of the primary key, but can’t rememeber which. In any case with a 10 Gb db, it can’t be more than a couple of Gig. either way.

Thank you everyone for your help on this. I’ve been working with Christian T., a Navision programmer, and he pointed me to where you specify the temporary file for Navision (TOOLS - OPTIONS - TEMPFILEPATH). I noticed that our Navision was pointing to a drive with only 800 MB free. I repointed this file to a drive with 3.8 GB free and tried the restore again. Unfortunately, the restore failed YET again! I’m trying the restore process one more time, this time I’m going to point to a drive with 70 GB free space. If this doesn’t work, then I’m back to square one and have no idea why the restore is making my life so miserable.

Okay, I’m done. The restore didn’t work even when the TEMPFILEPATH property was pointing to my local hard drive (C:) that had 70 GB free. Any other suggestions? I am able to restore without any errors a backup of our Development database that is only 5 GB in size (we haven’t refreshed it with new data since 12/31/2001). Obviously the restore of our Live database is not working since our Live database is 10 GB in size, but I have no clue why it’s failing.

Are You sure You got the TEMPPATH right? Wich version are You running? Some versions ago there was some mixup with the last backslash in the TEMPPATH-parameter.

Not the temp path on the client !!! It is the server that needs the space.

It’s the server that needs the space if you are restoring through a server setup. If you are restoring with a stand alone client it is the temppath for the client, correct?? Christian Tyrrestrup

Then an interesting question: To which drive does the server store the temporary data? That parameter cant be set when starting server.exe

I guess the server.exe will use the path stored in the servers temp-variable (ex.: %temp% = c:\temp; SET TEMP = c:\temp)

First off, another big thanks to everyone for taking the time to read and reply to this. In regards to David Singleton’s response that the temp path on the client is not the setting that affects where the restore creates its temporary file. That makes sense to me since few of the client-side settings apply in a server environment. The question remains, how do I change where the temp file gets created that Navision makes during the restore process? If the C:\ drive on our Navision server is being used, it only has 299 MB free and this would explain the out of disk space error message. Unfortunately, I am not a network person. Amargosa’s response sounds interesting, but I don’t know what it means or how it can help me. BTW, we are running Navision Version US 2.00.A (US 2.00.C). Our Navision server has three drives - C, E, F. Our databases (Live, Test, Train, Development) are all on the E:\ drive that currently has 25.9 GB free.

Lars - you are right! There is no setting for the temp path on the server. Jim - If you connect to the database, you are restoring to, with a stand alone client instead of connecting through the server, the system should pick the setting from the client for the temp path…

Yes. Do like Christian says. Open the database locally and specify the temppath You want on the client. That should work.

It will work, but only for the current session and you will need to restore from the local client. Benjamin is right about the temp directory. The best solution is to just get a bigger C drive on your server.

[:D]Hi Everyone. Haven’t been able to get to this site in a while, but wanted to let people know the end result should anyone have this problem in the future. After creating the blank 10 GB database, I was able to successfully restore the backup file of our Live database by connecting to the blank database using FILE - DATABASE - OPEN rather than FILE - SERVER - CONNECT. By connecting in this fashion, the TEMPFILEPATH setting (under TOOLS-OPTIONS) took affect and Navision used my C:\ drive that had lots of free space to create the temporary file needed during the restore process. The restore went perfectly and we are back in business. Thank you all and especially Christian Tryrrestrup for helping me get through this extremely stressful situation.