Report lay-out

Hello, I need to print a line on the bottom of a page. I put a footer on a report with some text-controls at the bottom. The property “place in bottom” is set to “True”. In the print preview everything looks allright, but on paper it’s place is - depending on the printer -different. How can I adjust the printer settings? I tried every property of the report, but nothing seems to have any influence. I am using a laserjet printer. With regards,

I believe one confusion factor may be that the print preview operates according to your default printer driver. If you are printing on a printer different than your defined default, the printed results could be different than the preview. But that doesn’t solve your problem. Could you provide some more specific information about the results of your tests? Does anything change when you change any of the properties? If so, what for which properties? Where does your footer print? Any other information you think could help define what’s happening? Dave Studebaker das@libertyforever.com Liberty Grove Software A Navision Services Partner

Hi, Adjusting the properties has no effect at all. I printed the report on three different printers. On one printer (laserjet) the last line was too low, on the other two (laser and inkt) it was placed to high, the preview was the same (the property “use system printer” has no effect, nor do the ‘margin’ properties). When the last line is placed too low, there is no problem, I can adjust it by making the footer larger at the bottom. However, when the line is placed too high, I can’t change anything. I think every printer has its own default margins, these should be adjusted. But how? Anolis Sittard Netherlands

The “use system printer” only defines what printer to physically output to, not what printer driver to use for previewing. So I wouldn’t expect that to have any useful effect relative to your problem. I’m not sure exactly what to suggest but I can tell you that there are several sets of printer control information that can interact and make obtaining a desired result very difficult. I will mention these at the risk of adding confusion rather than clarity to your problem (because your problem may not relate to these factors at all). First, many printers have internal settings defining page size, margins, printable area, etc. These often override everything else and can be defined differently that what the driver thinks they are defined. Second, there are the settings in the driver. I usually try to have both these first and second set of settings defaulted to a common printer standard, such as a generic HP laser printer. When that’s not possible, then you have to be careful that all the different “intelligences” involved (and I use that term very loosely) are in synch. Third are the controls in your page setup on your workstation. Fourth are the controls setup in your Navision report. This latter includes both the controls set programmatically and those that can be set or overridden by the user. An example of a combination of the above that could cause the problem you have would be one paper size setting in Navision or your page setup and a different default paper size setting in the printer. Having the same form print three different ways in three printers is not uncommon because the physically printable area is probably different for each of the printers. Depending on your overall report layout, Navision may not be able to compensate for that difference gracefully. I hope this did more than just confuse the issue for you. Dave Studebaker das@libertyforever.com Liberty Grove Software A Navision Services Partner

Margin settings, at least at the printer level must have some effect. When you are about to print the report and you have the filter and options form visible, try playing with File/Page Setup… I think that these settings are stored in the ZUP file and as you change from printer to printer, you may be getting this settings wrong. Please let us know how you solve this problem.

quote:

Originally posted by Jim Hollcraft: Margin settings, at least at the printer level must have some effect. When you are about to print the report and you have the filter and options form visible, try playing with File/Page Setup… I think that these settings are stored in the ZUP file and as you change from printer to printer, you may be getting this settings wrong.

I Belive You are right. However if You specify marging on designing the report, they are just transferd to the Printer Driver. If the marging are lower, that the Printer Driver can accept, they will not be used. //Henrik Helgesen -: KISS::Keep it Simple, Stupid :-

Yes, that’s it! The printer’s min. bottom margin was 5.6 mm (I found out using MS Word page setup). Any value below this has no effect, but values equal or higher do have effect! Thanks a lot! Anolis Sittard Netherlands