Report Design - Role of Request Form

Dear friends, What are the differences between a Normal Form and Request Form which we use in report designing ??? Regards, Rajasekhar Venumala

Hi! A “Normal Form” is a kind of user-interface where data is shown or entered - principaly. This is also the intention of a “Request Form”. But these forms are used basically to set filters and parameters on certain records before any processing of a report or dataport. Refering to CSIDE (Properties and Triggers) they are both quite similar to handle … (well, there are differences in behavior, depends on the use) Regards, Jörg

Hi I would say: In a normal form (if it is linked to a record) you can change a record and write to the database without any code. Furthermore you can edit / delete all controls on the form. IMHO both doesn’t work with a request form. Then you can use a form without a record but you can’t use a request form without an object (report / dataport). bye André

quote:

In a normal form (if it is linked to a record) you can change a record and write to the database without any code. Furthermore you can edit / delete all controls on the form

These interactions are resulted by the “SourceTable”-Property of forms, which is available for both: “Normal Forms” and “Request Forms” (means: you can also link a RF to a record)!

quote:

you can’t use a request form without an object (report / dataport).

As the RF is part of the object this is indeed impossible [;)] But you can also create a report (or dataport) - and so use the RF -which is not refered to a record! So, finally I would say, that a “definiton” of a “Request Form” could be: A Form that is created automatically with creation of a report or dataport, intended to set filters and parameters to conduct the processing of the object. ([:o)] this is not to be taken serious!) have a nice weekend, kind regards, Jörg

Hello Joerg You are right! I just tested it. I withdraw my statement and maintain the opposite! [:D] (Again something learned! Thank you Navision.net!) A nice weekend too. bye André