Replacing old Navision Server

Hi,

We are in the process of replacing our old Windows 2000/SQL 2000\Navision Server with a much newer Windows 2003 server.

I have built a test rig to iron out any issues, and have hit an obstacle right from day one. The server build and SQL install went fine. I restored our 70GB database onto the test rig, and it seems fine. I can see all the tables etc.

However when I tried to log on it said user-id/password invalid, so I created the user ID, because there were no users in the \security\logins area. This still didnt work either. So what I would like to know is this :-

How do I port across all the user IDs and permissions into the new server? If it is still part of the same Active Directory, shouldnt I just be able to add the new server in and away they go, since we use windows authetication for logging in purposes.

Regards

TK

Have you synchronized the users from Navision (Tools\Security\Synchronize)?

What does synchronize do exactly? I am not sure what server I should be running this on? Because I cannot connect to the new database, I am only assume that you mean from the client that points to the old existing live database. I am also unaware of what side effects it will have on my live database.

Let me clarify a few more points.

We have old server(NAVISION1), still running the live database that users connect to. This is the server that will be replaced.

We also have a new server(NAVISION2), which I have built from scratch with Windows 2003 and SQL 2000. Onto this server I have restored a SQL backup of our live database.

When on the NAVISION2, within SQL Enterprise manager, I cannot see any of the the user IDs in the security/logons section. This is also where I tried to create a user from the old system, to see if the user can log into the restored database.

Where/how do recreate/copy/export all the old logons/permissions from?

Regards TK

Synchronize synchronizes permissions on SQL Server with the permissions set in Navision. You will have to manually add all existing windows users to your new SQL Server. If you look hard enough and post in the SQL Server forums out there you could probably find a SQL script that allows you to copy them form your ‘old’ server. It depends on how many users you have that I would say that is beneficial.

For now make sure your windows user is set up on the new SQL box. You should be able to connect to your Navision database using the sa account. Once you’re in there, add your user to Navision and run a synchronize on your own single login. At least that should enable you to connect to the Navision database. Then as you add the other users you can either run it for each user separately or for all of them in one process.

We have just done exactly the same thing (3.7, SQL, Active Diretory, Windows Login) but it was the IT manager who did most of it so the steps may be incomplete but,

1 backed up SQL database and restored in new server

2 Opened navision and connected to new server as Super user and sa (licence needs to be uploaded, if upload not available try import then unpload).

3 In Navision ran tools >> security >> synchronisation.

All previous users were then able to login to the new server.

That sounds like that the synchronize function also adds the users back to SQL Server.

Yes, the Synchronize Function adds the Navision users to the SQL Server Security.

When you did the backup and restore, did you use Navision’s backup process? It sounds like you used the SQL backup process, unless I’m reading this wrong.

The restore should be done with Naviions’s restore function. Make sure that you set enough log space on the SQL database for the restore, since it will require at least as much as the database size, so in your case, 70 GB. If you are using Database logins, then they will need to be given new passwords on the new SQL server after the sync is done.

I really hate the sync process in 4.0.

A side note about Windows 2003 and newer servers. MS now offers a download of something called Scalable Networking. This, in conjunction with some servers or a select group of NIC’s, can dramatically increase the performance of TCP/IP. See the following link for more info:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/itsolutions/network/snp/default.mspx

If the only way to automatically get the users back in SQL Server is to use a Navision restore then I would say do the SQL restore (for 70GB that is MUCH faster) and manually add the users. In the end that will save you more time than creating the users by the restore function. You can always do a full database test after you create the database for ‘Navision integrity’.

The synchronize process should still be available. I can access every Navision database on my SQL Server using the sa account (which I use to create all the databases), even though that account is not a valid user in any of my Navision databases.

Just a SQL restore followed by synchronise worked fine for us.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you guys. However I am still in a very similiar situation.

I tried restoring one of the companies out of my database, because it was the easiest way to test, rather then trying to restore the hugh database itself.

I tried doing the SQL restore first, and this took ages but the system came back up, and I was able to log in as SA using database authentication and browse/work within Navision fine. However when I tried using Windows Authentication with an ID I know that works, because I tested it within the live system, and I got this error :

“The combination of user ID and password is invalid. Try again.”

So I deleted the whole database and started again, this time using the Navision backup/restore procedure. I was able to restore the database successfully, and was even able to run the Tools/Security/Synchronise option successfully.

I was able to log in as SA using database authentication successfully, but hit the same problem using Windows Authentication.

I am stuck at this stage now, and would appreciate some help if anyone has any ideas.

I made sure that the stored procedure xp_ndo.dll is on the SQL server in case that was the issue. I copied it straight across from the live server into the correct directory. Which is the …\SQLServer\Binn directory.

Regards

TK

Have you checked the permissions on the extended stored procedure.

After the SQL restore and login as SA in to Navision did you do a sychronise then?

I use Database Authentication with my SQL Implementation. When I moved to a new server, I found the following MS KB article very helpful with transfering users from my live server to the the new one:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;246133

Hope this helps