ReName Prevention

Help! We desperately need a solution to records being renamed. Is this possible in Navision…if so, how do we do it? Thanks

Huh - What do You mean? If You do not want users to rename you can set up the rights. I think if you remove their option to delete a record will solve your problem. Otherwise You need to change the OnRename property o the table, as it is on Table 36 (and a few more). //Henrik Helgesen -: KISS::Keep it Simple, Stupid :-

You could make the key fields in the table definition non-editable, but then of course no one can change them. You could make all the key fields non-editable in the forms that the general users have access to, and add a set of “super user maintenance” forms reserved for those you want to allow to change key fields. Or use some combination of these and permissions, as was earlier suggested. Dave Studebaker das@libertyforever.com Liberty Grove Software A Navision Services Partner

I don’t know if you need to do this on all tables or just a few, but… You can put the following code in the OnRename trigger: Error(‘You cannot rename this record’); Your users will still get the “Do you want to rename the record” message, but if they press “YES”, then they will get the error message and the rename will be discarded. Hope this helps, Mark. Mark Keener Automated Number Crunching Dayton, OH USA

Mark’s idea is a good one. You could even get complicated, call up a form for the message and use permissions to allow some people through and reject others. Dave Studebaker das@libertyforever.com Liberty Grove Software A Navision Services Partner

Mark’s idea is a good one. <<<< WOW DAVE!!! Coming from you (a super experienced Navi-Person!), that’s a great compliment!! Actually, I can’t take all the credit. I recently took over a client site that another programmer put a similar message in the “OnModify” trigger to make sure that the user actually wanted to save the changes that were made to the record. They did this in the Customer, Vendor, and Item master records. It was something that the client insisted on having when we upgraded the from 1.10 to 2.60. I’ve done similar things now at other clients. Regards, Mark. Mark Keener Automated Number Crunching Dayton, OH USA

Thank you Mark. You are too kind. Dave Studebaker das@libertyforever.com Liberty Grove Software A Navision Services Partner