Recover company data

I’m an end user of Navision Financials 2.60c. My question is: Anybody know how can i recover the company data deleted with File - Company - Delete program? I deleted [:(] the company data (and consecuently lost data). Thanks in advance

quote:

Originally posted by Pocket
I’m an end user of Navision Financials 2.60c. My question is: Anybody know how can i recover the company data deleted with File - Company - Delete program? I deleted [:(] the company data (and consecuently lost data). Thanks in advance

Did you made a backup recently? I guess this is your only chance to get (parts of) your data back. @All others: This is the second posting regarding deleting a company this month! Is there really no way to avoid deleting a company? (e.g. disable this menu function) It must be a difference between deleting a record or deleting a company! bye André

Yes there is. There is a permission object of the type “System” with ID 1640 which stands for “File, Company, Delete”. With default permission roles You need to have SUPER to delete a company. Once You have enough permissions no one can stop You from deleting a company… /Lars

Junior, the only 2 ways for recovering the data is to restore a backup with that data or using a special tool that it’s used by Navision NTR itself (ask your NSC to contact Navision Spain as at least to my knowledge that utility for recovering deleted data on the database it’s not something commonly NSC’s themselves have… at least we were not when i was in Spain working on an NSC and the previous company deleted problem post was the first time i heard about such utility). My recommendation on that matter is to have a superuser role but without the “dangerous” functions (delete company, delete database) and a different one with those permissions set-up only in one specific user, and by default, if you’re having to have super user permissions use the non-dangerous one on your user, having a “emergency” user id where those permissions are activated for allowing specific and well known dangerous operations… and before deleting a company, always do a backup… But as Lars says… once you’ve enough permissions no one can stop you… and if you don’t pay attention and just click ok without checking at least 5 times you’re on the right database and right company… Regards,

In first time thanks to all. I’m sorry but i can’t answer you before now. (and excuse me because I’m not very good in english…) I’ve got a backup, but it isn’t recently. I asked to my NSC and they contacted Navision Spain. The result was lost data (the recovery tool not worked). Only I’ve got the superuser role (my licence is for 20 users). I did everyday a diary backup (GranFather-Father-Son system) 4 diary backups, 4 week backups, and 2 month backups. Six months ago, we added a bigger server, more disk space, and more data. The backup system didn’t work in the new computer. I thinked that the system security look good (disk system array - RAID1) and the system is replicated with other server in another city (frame-relay) every day. I thinked that we can wait a few months to install a new backup system. I paid my error. The “d” day (deleted day) i just come back in holiday. As a result, only a good a thing. The experience. Thanks again.

Alfonso, I remember this tool that you talk about - recovering deletion of databases or companies (can’t remember which one it was?) I could never understand how such a tool may work? Any ideas?

Hi Connull, the programme is C/DART. First thing is to understand Navision’s version principle. They don’t teach it any more, so most people don’t really study it, but there is plenty in the manuals about it. Also there are a number of white papers. Basically when you make any write transaction in Navision, you actually copy the records, and modify the copies. The original is always kept in the database. Since Navision uses a B+ tree structure, it is possible to track the level (or version) that is most current in the database. C/DART works by rolling back through the version tree, and at each step it does a concistency check on the data. At each node that it finds a valid data structure, it creates a log, and then after the process is complete, it allows you to select a version to roll back to. Basically its like an Undo button. It is a fabulous tool, and if you search here on Nolug, you will find a number of my earlier postings about it. I just wish that Navision (MS) would make it avaiable,to NSCs. I have saved a number of Clients databases using it, but always the hassle of getting the database back to Navision was a big hassle. Obviously since it is based on the actual data on the hard disk, you generally had to take the whole server back to Navision for repairs. Anyway just one more of those things.

Hi

quote:

Originally posted by David Singleton
… Basically its like an Undo button. …

Thank you. Now I know the function behind the Undo button from the symbol menu [:D]. bye André

Unfortunately no… The undo button in Navision only undoes what you typed on the current line you are on. (Esc does the same). You could not actually have an “undo” button on the main menu, since there is a very high chance that since you made changes, someone else will also have made changes. Because of the way the Verioning works in Navision, Undo (using C/Dart) would have to undelete everything that happened back to the point where you want to undo. If anyone remembers the NavTurbo Add-On, with in that would have been the potential for a genuine undo function.

Hi David Sorry. It was a joke [;)]. The buttons without function (Print / Preview / Undo) were the very first things I’ve criticized in Attain. They said: M$- standard! I said: M$ - standard is an grey button if the functions are not available They said: Nothing [8D] You remember: “Never show a button without function!”[}:)] bye André

It is true though, Navision could not get MS certification unless they had the buttons.

Hi

quote:

Originally posted by David Singleton
It is true though, Navision could not get MS certification unless they had the buttons.

So I should create a program without any function [8D]. Only a few buttons (of course all without functions [8D]) to get a ‘look-and-feel’ like M$. Perhaps I get the certificate [8D]. Didn’t they check the functionality while doing the certification [}:)]? I can’t believe it! bye André