RAID 5 or 1+0?

I am running a 25gb Attain Database on 3.60 and am having performance problems, I was running on RAID 1+0 but have changed to RAID 5. I have spoken to 3 NSC’s 2 say my data should be on RAID 1+0 1 says RAID 5, any suggestions which is the best solution?

It’s a pitty the all where wrong[V] (I assume You are running Navision’s native DBMS since You say “Attain Database”). You should not run the C/SIDE DBMS on anything else then RAID-1. You just need to read the installation manual to get this knowledge. When it comes to SQL it’s a bit different. Before we go any deeper into this I recommend You to search this forum for previos postings. This as been discussed a lot earlier.

Sorry I forgot to say I am running SQL.

Then You should go for RAID1+0 for Your data files and RAID-1 for log. I don’t know how many users, but by the size of the database I would guess it’s should be a server with 2 Xeon, 2 - 4 GB RAM, 10 disks (15K rpm). 1 pair of disks for OS and executables, 1 pair for log, one for tempdb, model and such and the rest of the disks in RAID1+0 for data. But again. Read old postings.

Lars Thanks I was struggling to find the old postings but I now have and have all of the information I require. David

Hi David, I am highly concerned that 3 NSCs gave you wrong information about SQL. Did they know it was SQL? Even though the advise was wrong even for C/SIDE??? If you follow through the posts here, you will find that virtually ALL slow SQL implementations are because the implementation did not follow Navision’s recommendations. Have your NSC contact Navision/MS in the UK, they have a very good SQL/Navision expert there that can help them.

With the costs of disks the way they are now, and with the performance improvements in new disks and controllers, there is virtually NO reason to use RAID 5 for almost anything, but NEVER for ANY database application, whether it be SQL, C/SIDE, Exchange, whatever. I too am surprised that one NSC gave you that imformation. My NSC was very emphatic about the setup of the SQL server. Although they were not too sure about the sizing, they recommended RAID 1 right from the start.