Problems with barcode scaling

Hello, We are trying to print a code128B barcode using a barcode font from a Navision Report, but no matter what fontsize we choose, we cannot create a barcode that has the required height and X-dimension. We also tried generating the bitmap first as a bitmap, and use a picture field to put it on the report. Navision however, automatically scales the bitmap, and we cannot control the resulting X-dimension. We finally reverted to a seperate Automation Server object to draw the entire label. This works excellent on any printer, but now we cannot use the standard Navision Report Designer anymore. Is there anyone that has a better solution?

Hi Woutervn , is your problem just the size of the barcode? Have you checked if the barcode could be read by a scanner? One thing I remember is that every printer has to support barcode-printing. Otherwise you can’ t print barcode just with setting the font property to the barcode-font. I rememeber a Fin 2.6 project where we had a lot of trouble with barcode printing. In our case we finaly had to send an ASCI file to the printer and we couldn’t use the Navison report designer too. Micha

When using a font the problem is that the (horizontal) size of the barcode is either much too small or much too large. When using a picture field, the X-dimension (the size of the smallest bar) is allways at least 1 mm. The sipping agency that must scan the barcode expects a X-dimension between 0.2 mm and 0.7 mm. To make things more clear: If the smallest bar in the bitmap is one pixel wide, it will be 1 mm on the printed form. I hope clarifies my problem. Wouter van Noort

While most of us tend to solve problems by writing code tightly integrated into the Navision application, I think there are times when use of third party software is a better answer. In my opinion, printing bar codes is one of those times. There are a number of excellent bar code label printing packages on the market for very reasonable prices which solve all these type of problems They contain functionality for a variety of bar code symbologies and are compatible with a wide variety of printers. Often it is much cheaper to buy a package than to expend the hours required to re-invent a solution. Maybe this is one of those cases?

I found that when I was doing barcoding, when I got the required width, the height was much too small. I used the following hack: 1) Get the x-dimension correct. This usually resulted in a BC that is too short. 2) Make sure the text box is shorter than the height of the barcode. 3) Copy the textbox directly above/below and overlap it with the original so the height looks greater. It seems kind of bogus, but I actually got labels approved for readability by both Sears and Purolator using this method. Hope this helps. Chris.

I agree with Daves. Loftware is such an example. (800 euro) You can make it work like a dogwatch principle. It is polling a directory for a txt file. when you dump a Navision txt file in that specific directory, Loftware eats that file and prints a state of the art lable.

Thanks for the suggestions, It seems the best way is to use a third-party product. Can anyone give me hints on reliable, ,not-too-expensive products and about the best way to integrate with Navision? I don’t think duming files to a directory is the best way when a lot of barcodelabels must be printed. Wouter van Noort FineVision

Check out the products at www.teklynx.com. I have used their Label Matrix product interfaced with Navision and been very happy with it. I just used the ASCII file interface and was able to make it totally transparent to the user, but your situation may require a more tightly integrated approach. They have tools to support that as well. Good luck.

hi, check also the products of ‘Wolf GmbH’ in Germany www.barcode24.com. I use the codes 128, 39, il in our navision 2.60; very easy. Thomas

quote:

Originally posted by Woutervn
Thanks for the suggestions, It seems the best way is to use a third-party product. Can anyone give me hints on reliable, ,not-too-expensive products and about the best way to integrate with Navision? I don’t think duming files to a directory is the best way when a lot of barcodelabels must be printed. Wouter van Noort FineVision

I can assure you, we have used this in online production systems, where barcodes needed to be generated every 30s, 24hrs/24, 7 days on 7. Not a problem.

As I know, qr code barcode size may decide whether a qr code can be read by devices. Even though there are loads of barcode websites for free to use, most of them don’t provide QR code size information. Lately, I’ve seen an article about qr code size setting. Hope it be useful.

http://www.onbarcode.com/code_128/code128_size_setting.html

As well, information about C# qr code size setting is also available.

http://www.onbarcode.com/code_128/code128_size_setting_in_csharp.html