Problem restoring Navision backup!!

I have never had a problem restoring a Navision backup until last week. The client is using SQL and I did a Navision backup and tried to restore the backup to both a native database and a SQL database, and got the same error. Looking for any advice or work around. "The Item Vendor already exist Identification fields and Values: Vendor #259,Item #649, Variant Code "

I’m not sucht technician but I would try to delete that record from the backup with some kind of editor. It is evident that a double record with the same keys has not been noticed by the system during the backup. Obviosuly before you must make a copy of the backup and note the record you are deleting, to investigate on it after the restore has completed.

Apologies but check the simple things first. First, are you restoring into new and empty databases? Second, have you checked the original database for the error in that table?

Sorry, but is it in the right forum??? (Microsoft CRM)…

quote:

I’m not sucht technician but I would try to delete that record from the backup with some kind of editor. It is evident that a double record with the same keys has not been noticed by the system during the backup. Obviosuly before you must make a copy of the backup and note the record you are deleting, to investigate on it after the restore has completed.
Originally posted by Alberto - 2005 May 25 : 03:15:02

Please don’t do this. In SQL, there things are possible. It is quote possible tat you have two records that SQL thinks are Unique, t Navision thinks are the same. This can happen for example in a Code field, SQl will allow upper or lower case as different, Navision sees them as identical. What is odd, is that Navision normally would not allow ou to even create the backup with this error. It is extremely unlikely that you have a corrupt Navision backup, since the check sum virtually always finds this at restore time. My guess as pointed out by jsrark is that you have a problem in your database. You should asap do the following. 1/ Make a file cop of th entire database. 2/ Run DB test on primary keys. 3/ Write a report to scan and print all records in the Vendor Item Table. if 2 fails and 3 succeeds, then create a new table cpy of the Vendor item table, copy all records to it, delete the original, create abackup, create a brand new empty database, and restore the backup, then move the data back. If you are not 00% sure how to do this, then give it to someone that does, beause what now is a small issue, could turn into a major issue.