Problem importing form Excel

I have a problem importing data from Excel using templates created from Axapta 3.0. Some of the fields are imported and some not. I reed the documentation and it’s written that the data type of the cell in Excel is crusial for the successful import and when the type does not match that one in Axapta, the field is NOT imported. I tried to change the types in Excel but with no success… Some times data such as AccountNumber in LedgerTable does not seem to be valid, some times the Enum types does not corespond to an adequate term… Any ideas? Can this be connected with the version of Excel (mine is 97)? Regards Ivo

While importing data from Excel, AXAPTA doesn’t make checkings about the relations on the fields. Could you post an example row from Excel that can’t be imported? Possibly there is something wrong with the those values.

I wouldn’t bother with the Excel import - use the custom option instead and just define your own field structure and import from a csv.

quote:

Originally posted by Adam Seaton
I wouldn’t bother with the Excel import - use the custom option instead and just define your own field structure and import from a csv.

What exactly do you mean? I tried to do so but after making an export from an empty table, just to make .def file and .csv and editing this .csv in Excel, the Excel writes file in format changing comas with semicolumn and removing quotes. As a result Axapta does not accept this file format as matching to the .def… My aim, as you can understand, is to make a template which can be easily edited by the user and then imported back to Axapta. Any suggestions?

quote:

Originally posted by xenophe
While importing data from Excel, AXAPTA doesn’t make checkings about the relations on the fields. Could you post an example row from Excel that can’t be imported? Possibly there is something wrong with the those values.

Can I post pictures to this forum? How?.. I will send you screenshots to email.

Hi, the excel import facility in version 3.0 contains a lot of errors, and as far as i know MBS has corrected these in the SP2 release coming up soon. You have 3 options to try out: 1. Go the technet and find the hotfix there (search on excel import and you will find it). One of the partners have made an unsupported fix. 2. Use normal import instead, ie. convert your excel spreadsheet to a CSV and do a traditional import. This will however give some work as you have to setup everything manually. 3. Wait for SP2 (should be released end september)

Hi, the excel import facility in version 3.0 contains a lot of errors, and as far as i know MBS has corrected these in the SP2 release coming up soon. You have 3 options to try out: 1. Go the technet and find the hotfix there (search on excel import and you will find it). One of the partners have made an unsupported fix. 2. Use normal import instead, ie. convert your excel spreadsheet to a CSV and do a traditional import. This will however give some work as you have to setup everything manually. 3. Wait for SP2 (should be released end september)

I have Excel 2002, but I think that it is similar to Excel 97. For what it’s worth, we’ve found that when you try to import digits into a string field, you have to see those little green triangles in the upper left corner of each cell that mean “numbers formatted as text.” And just formatting the cells as text doesn’t work. We’ve found, for both text and date fields, that going across the spreadsheet one column at a time and using the “Text to columns” selection under the Data menu in Excel seems to work the best.

quote:

I have a problem importing data from Excel using templates created from Axapta 3.0. Some of the fields are imported and some not. I reed the documentation and it’s written that the data type of the cell in Excel is crusial for the successful import and when the type does not match that one in Axapta, the field is NOT imported. I tried to change the types in Excel but with no success… Some times data such as AccountNumber in LedgerTable does not seem to be valid, some times the Enum types does not corespond to an adequate term… Any ideas? Can this be connected with the version of Excel (mine is 97)? Regards Ivo
Originally posted by dreshkov - 2003 Aug 20 : 14:56:04