Prioritising orders

We have a manufacturing client (using forward scheduling, with finite capacities) who want to prioritise their sales orders and production orders. They want Navision to first allocate capacity to the highest priority orders and ensure that they finish as quickly as possible (or as close to their due date as possible), and then allocate capacity to the other orders. For now, I just need to give them an estimate of how much work will be involved to set it up. Navision currently seems to plan one item at a time (in alphabetical order!), in fact, renaming items could by itself change the plan that Navision generates. So it’s going to require considerable effort just to understand exactly how the planning engine currently works, though I’m hoping that it’s designed well enough that I will only need to make a few changes in the code to get it to handle order priorities. Has anyone ever tried this? I would definitely appreciate any comments or help. Alastair

Hi, We have developed two editions of a Finite Capacity Scheduling Module for MBS which are currently being used all over the world. It’s main aim is to plan all the work load among the available resources in a smart and effective way. The result of such “programming” of the production is a new configuration of the starting and ending planned time for each production order. Visit our site www.olivia-sistemas.com and download a free demo to see how it works. Best regards, Susana

Hi Susana, I did look at third-party solutions, including yours, but management has decided to develop a solution in-house, just because it would be easier for us to maintain. We will not be making complicated changes anyway. We will let users generate a plan and then specify a priority in the Planning Worksheet. Our code will simply move all the order dates out of the way (say, by adding 100 years), and then move them back to the desired dates in order of priority. So the highest priority order will be rescheduled first, and Navision will allocate resources to it optimally, since there will be no other orders in the same time period. Then the second highest priority order will be rescheduled, and so on. This may not be the most efficient solution, but it avoids meddling with the planning engine and gets Navision to do the work for us. Alastair