Print report page of page

Hi, When I print a report I would insert the page number and the total page number (e.g. 1 of 3… 2 of 3… 3 of 3). Can you help me? Thanks in advance

(I’ve lent a previous answer from Edward Bloomfield on this often asked question [:D]. Please try the “Search”-option first.) Hello, This is a frequently asked question. Firstly, there is no standard way to do this in Navision - Navision cannot print a “Page 1 of 10” at the start of a report becuase it does not know there are 10 page until the print run is complete. If you search the forum, you will find a number of answers to this, but they are awkward, as they all involve running the report once in the background to find out how many pages need to be printed & a second time to actually print it out.

quote:

(I’ve lent a previous answer from Edward Bloomfield on this often asked question [:D]. Please try the “Search”-option first.) Hello, This is a frequently asked question. Firstly, there is no standard way to do this in Navision - Navision cannot print a “Page 1 of 10” at the start of a report becuase it does not know there are 10 page until the print run is complete. If you search the forum, you will find a number of answers to this, but they are awkward, as they all involve running the report once in the background to find out how many pages need to be printed & a second time to actually print it out.
Originally posted by tinoruijs - 2005 Jul 04 : 08:52:24

Does anyone know Navision is developing this? Or will it always be like now?

Hello, It has always been like this and people have been asking this question since before I started working on Navision (On 1.30 in 1998)… I have heard nothing about this being changed in future versions - If it has not changed by now, I would be very surprised if it ever does in the future…

Really it depends on the time frame of green, and when it will be a suitable replacement for Navision. I am guesing this to be in the 2008-2010 time frame. For many peole new to Navision, this is a much requested requirement. Of course we can compare this to scroll bars to list forms. The only way that Navision could ucessfully support Page Of fcntionality (without a major redesign) would be to have alace holder for number of pages. In that case, the report generator wold look at the paper length, and starrt building the report in RAM. At this time pnthe report a fields would be allocated as the total page counter, but would be blank. Once the report is complete (in memory), the field could then populate, and the report could then be printed to paper. Of course this would require the selecton of a printer BEFORE you start to preview the report, and other sch requirements, but it is doable. The question is, does it really ave value? And look at the mess wth scroll windows, all they do is slow the system down without even the vaigest sense of usability. What is going to happen when I want to print a 5,000 page report, and the wholes system must die just to calculaate pages. No for me this is not important enough to justify the work involved. Everytime we get people screeming about a “my One client needs this mod, so lets mod the entire navision system”, and Navision listen, the system just gets slower. Ah back to the says of Navisions base moto… “The Beauty of Simplicity”

Besides, if you really need to know how many pages you are going to print out first, you can always Print Preview first… [:D]

I remember reading this was, by law, a local requirement in Italy.

A lot of countries have these odd accounting “laws” that really make no sense. I am guessing though that since Navision sells in Itally, that it is not a show stopper.

Have you ever dealt with the “odd” requirements in Greece? Maybe some Greek members can comment on how many laws you must obbey to.

Navision and C/SIDE can be used to develop general purpose database solutions that really do need this function (where reports are issued for legal or statutory purposes) such as product identification (whisky) and definition (scotch or nnot). For one customer we found and used 2 possibilites; either pass the print data to Word or XL or make the report pass throught the same data items twice; once to calculate and once to print. These solutions worked in this instatnce and I can not recommend them for general adoption.