Print Navision (3.01) helpfile (chm) to Word

Hi all, I guess I’m not the only one who is annoyed about the current trend to deliver software without any manuals. They said always: “Please use the online- help.” But this not always a proper way to get information. Beside Navision we had got a new banking software last week - without any printware. That was the last reason for me to search the web for ways and tools to convert the helpfiles into printable documents. I found different ways. Now I’m able to convert normal Help- files (.hlp) and Navision HTML- helpfiles (.chm). I found this easy solution on GOOGLE (What would I do without it!). With this posting I would like to share my knowledge in converting chm - files with you. In the Navision help are several books (like Accounting, Sales, Purchase etc.). You can convert always only one of these books. Rightclick on one of these books and select ‘Print’. A box will appear with a question (from german): ‘Only selected document’ or ‘Selected document and all subordinated documents’. Select the second point. Now the system converts all helpfiles to one document to send it to the printer. This is our opportunity. When the printer selection box appears don’t select something. Go to the explorer and browse your TEMP - folder (Y2K: documents and settings/YourProfile/Local …/TEMP). There you will find a file like this: …HH… .htm. . stand for different numbers. Copy this file to another folder, cancel the printer selection, open Word and with this open the copied file. Now you got the helpfile in a Word -document. Thats it. It is so easy if you know how. rev 10.02.2003 --------------- I forgot two points: - negative: All links are dead. No Matter, we want to print the document. - positive: You can easy insert a list of contents. Word formats all headers autmatically (on my system). All you have to do is to select insert / list of contents / Ok. Then you can format the document as you wish. I just tried to convert a chm - file with pictures to Word. It doesn’t work. Then you have to print the …HH… . htm - file (with all pictures [:)] & no chance to format [:(]). If you want to know more about converting .hlp- files to Word please let me know. bye Andre

quote:

Originally posted by Andre DDB
Hi all, … Now you got the helpfile in a Word -document. Thats it. It is so easy if you know how.

[:X] Anna

right Clicking is not showing me a Print option (windows 2000) ?

quote:

Originally posted by gco

Which kind of help file do try to print? The way I explained works only with .chm- files (like Navision Attain 3.01B). It should works with all Windows versions. It does work with W2000 (on my computer). You can reach the option after select F1 in Navision or with a double click on the .chm file (Explorer). Then with a right click on the book (folder) should appear the print selection. bye Andre

quote:

I also run Win2000. It works! Execute the *.chm and right-click on the folder/book you want to print or press the “Print”-Button. Then go ao as Andre described … I just created my C/SIDE Reference that way [:p] Andre: Gooood work! [:D] Regards, Jörg

quote:

Originally posted by stryk

[quote]
… Andre: Gooood work! [:D] …

Thank you [8)]. But it is only a side result from my search for ways and tools converting .hlp-files. Why shouldn’t I tell my knowledge to the other people here in the forum. I hope (I know!) you all do it similar. bye andre

Thank you for the very clever and useful tip. I immediately generated Help docs for all my apps. The piece that appears to be missing is all the field helps. They apparently aren’t included in the definition of “subordinated documents”. Any idea how to get the field helps too? Again, THANK YOU Andre!

Hi David

quote:

Originally posted by daves
… The piece that appears to be missing is all the field helps. They apparently aren’t included in the definition of “subordinated documents”. Any idea how to get the field helps too? …

Hmm. It seems to be difficult to get these help topics too. But they must be stored somewhere. I didn’t found them yet. If I find them (in a single file) then it should be possible to get the data in another document. I will check it. bye Andre

Hi All I’m afraid we will not find a way to get the ‘field help’ [V]. I just talked with somebody who has written several helpfiles for Navision. He also doesn’t know a way. But- that we can get the normal help is much more then we got before. [8D] bye André