Primary / Secondary Operation

As the secondary operation is tied value wise to the primary operation I tried to reflect true setup time and costs by setting up an own operation for Setup. This operation has only setup time and no run time. However, I do experience now some problems in booking this operation through SFC.

The Training material does not say a lot about that issue. Any experience available if this is possible at all having an operation in a route having no running time but only setup time?

Any experience out there hwo to cover the correct set up time for a scenario like:

1 Operator
2 Machines

Setup time per machine = 1 hour
Run time per machine = 5 hours

Putting the labor time as a secondary operation with a work load of 50% on work center level does not do the trick as the setup time will be estimated as 0.5 hours only.

Any solution/experience on how to refelct the true setup time of 1 hour within the route?

Thx.

Joe

The labour time is the first operation, and then you can set the second to the machines, and the machines are concurrent I presume. Why is the labour not separate, can you expand upon the route?

According to the definition of parallel operation the results would look like this:

OPS

OPS Priority

OPS Type

Work Center Load

Ops Time

Time

Drilling

Primary

Machine

100%

Setup

1 hour

Run

5 hours

Drilling H

Secondary

Labor (covering two machines)

50%

Setup

0.5 hour

Run

2.5 hours

In the above scenario I cant put labor time first as 1 operator will operate several machines. In this example 2 machines. Thats why the work load of 50%. The 50% splits the timing from the primary operation - both on Setup and Runtime. That means that runtime will be 50% too less.

So our attempt is:

OPS

OPS Priority

OPS Type

Work Center Load

Ops Time

Time

Setup H

Primary

Labor

100%

Setup

1 hour

Run

n/a

Setup M

Sorry I am obviously missing something - is the issue the fact you cannot end the job on op 10? Not having run time is not relevant, it is a job. I presume it creates two jobs, but I am not sure with the secondary, I would expect it to, but you would have to end both - what does it say when you try to end it?

If I run through the full route in SFC and hit the last operation and I try tho end the production order it gives me the following error message

If I check end mark route it creates a route card journal finishing all Primary/Secondary jobs. If I put endmark route card in the SFC Production Parameter it grey out the end job field in the SFC RaF Screen and I have to manually RaF the production. I guess I am missing here something.

Joe

Have you tried setting the setup time as run time in operation 10, so instead of having jobs for setup you will have jobs for runtime and the capacity reservations will be the same.

I have opened a ticket with MS on SFC and its obvious that SFC has some flaws using primary /secondary operations. If a Primary/Secondary operation is the last Ops in your route you have to manually set the ‘end jop’ flag.