pricing

Not sure if I’m on the right forum. Anyway, just have a query regarding the pricing functionality in Navision. If i define more than one price for an item with overlapping effectivity dates, system accepts. For example, user defines two prices for an item, first price effective from 01/01/03 to 01/31/03, the other effective from 01/15/03. For sales transactions with that item dated 01/15/03 and beyond, system will pick up the second price. I just would like to completely understand the logic behind such design (why Navision provided for such), as I want to be able to tell my clients factual information on our product, and not solely based on my personal/professional view =)

Hi Kats I think the logic is along the lines that it takes the current price. You first price is clearly now obsolete, even though it still has an effective date, because a later date has been established. If teh date is prior to the start date of the second price - this is a future price, and the first price is taken. It is nice and flexible [:D] Does that help?

Is it taking the latest price, or the BEST price? For information on how best pricing works, look for Best Price in the index of the Navision help in v3.7. Regards Craig

Thank you very much for your help, Steven and Craig. Your replies are highly appreciated. I also got a response from MBS service system, here’s what i got: ------------------------------------------------------- Let us quote the help file for Getting Sales Price: Getting Sales Price When you fill in a sales document, the price in the Unit Price Excl. VAT field should represent the Best Price, that is the lowest possible price on this date. However, if you would like to see whether there are alternative sales prices, you can use the Show Column facility to display the Sales Prices Exists field. If this field contains a check mark, you can look up the sales prices from the line: Thus if there are overlapping effectivity dates such as your example, the program will retrieve the lowest possible price on the order date. This is line with the BEST PRICE concept that is followed by the program. To know more about BEST PRICE, please refer to the online help BEST PRICE. If you want the program to retrieve the latest price and not the lowest price, you should place an ending date such that there will be no overlapping dates. With regards to entering ending dates, there is incorrect information in the Financial Management training manual on page 12-6. It says: If an agreement is re-negotiated at a later date, a new sales price line is entered with a new starting date, which then takes over the previous agreement. It should be: The salesperson needs to enter the ending date if a new agreement is renegotiated at a later date. Thus be sure to enter an ending date to the old price if you want the latest price to take effect. ----------------------------------------------------------