Post Cost to G/L not functioning

During a recent “post cost to G/L” routine, an error message appear for File Expansion. Our technical person expanded the files,but the post cost to G/L function does not work. The Inventory to G/L reconciliation report indicates a number of “Invoiced not Posted to G/L items”, so I know they are out there, just will no post. Need help. Technical person is not an accountant and this accountant is technically hopeless.

Hello My understanding of hte posting routine would be that if the database was not big enough to accomodate the postings then the whole routine would have been rolled back - I am sure the technical guys can add to this. I presume you have tried running the routine again for the same period, and have verified that entries you believe are posted are posted, and the ones the report tells you are not actually are not? What is the ID of the inventory to GL reconciliation report? This maybe a US specific report as I do not have it, so I am unsure of teh workings, although can guess its nature, perhaps another USA member has experienced something similar and will reply.

Hi Holt, To run the Post Inventory COst to G/L you have to run the adjust cost item entries batch job, the system will adjust the old entries to the new cost (if any). Then when you run the Post inventory cost to G/L the system will post the adjustments made by the previous batch and then generates a report of the posted trnsactions. Note: If there are no adjustments done (ie, Adjust cost Item entries) or you have setup as Automatic cost posting on the G/L there is a possibility that there will be no posting to the G/L.

Thanks for trying. We are set for Automatic cost posting, so the Adjust two step process, refines the “bucket costing” for changes for cost price. Know that there are adjustments pending. The Inventory Reconciliation report showed a string of “Invoice Pending” amounts, ranging from 1 cent to $14. These are “my” adjustment items that won’t post. Think I know my problem. The process was set to “not post” unless it printed, so I could review. Bet the technical data base expansion did not reset the report to print; therefore “no print, no post”. Will talk to technical today. This program is definitely not for “the faint at heart”.

You don’t say what version you are running, but generally, the Post Cost to G/L report will look at the “Adjusted Cost (Invoiced Qty.)” and the “Cost Posted to G/L” fields on the Item Ledgers and Post the differences. This would mean that you can re-run the Post Cost as much as you want. Also note, this diffence usually shows up in the “Inv. Value to be Posted” column…im not sure if this was the column you were referring to?

I do not know what version. Program is 3 years old, but have purchased one update. I can find out if it is important. The very process that you discussed is the one that will no longer run. “Technical” tells me, expanding the data files should not have disrupted the process or affected the reports.—As I stated previously, this report was set to “Print and Post” only; i.e., no print, no post. “Technical” can not remember where in the system, we set it up this way. If I knew that, I could at least check the settings. Really think this is my problem. On my Inventory to GL Reconciliation, these unposted adjustments are showing in the “Invoiced not Posted to GL” column, which makes sense to me as they are adjustments to the CGS on Sales invoices based on “revised” calculated item costs, based on updated vendor invoices. Can you “direct me” to Report setup? Any suggestions or references. Thanks

quote:

Originally posted by chrisk
You don’t say what version you are running, but generally, the Post Cost to G/L report will look at the “Adjusted Cost (Invoiced Qty.)” and the “Cost Posted to G/L” fields on the Item Ledgers and Post the differences. This would mean that you can re-run the Post Cost as much as you want. Also note, this diffence usually shows up in the “Inv. Value to be Posted” column…im not sure if this was the column you were referring to?

The column “Invoiced not Posted to GL” was renamed after version 3, so I would assume you are probably running either 2.50 or 2.60. The easiest way to find this out is to just go Help, About. The “Post and Print” option is not available in base Navision, is it something that your NSC did as custom? If that is the case, the setup can be anywhere…The first place I’d look is in Inventory Setup. If you need to dive in a bit further, you can contact me via E-Mail. As this is probably custom, you might want to ask your NSC if this report has been modified.