Permissions

Is there a way of displaying all the permissions that are required for a specific function such purchase order entry. The roles that came with the package are only a small set of what is needed. Thanks

You mean that you want the user to do more that what is allowed in the standard roles in Navision?

Yes I have found that the standard roles don’t work… For example, give a user some the two standard rules you have above and guess what he can’t see the menu. So we have started creating our own standard rules but, you have to go into the Purchase Order and try every item. Until it works, or tells you that you don’t have a “Permission”. This is just trial and error, there has to be an easier way… Thanks, John

I don’t know if there is an easier way. I used the trial & error method myself. Then I created a new role that had access to every table, data & form and then started removing instead of adding. Went quicker…

quote:

Originally posted by savatage99
… Then I created a new role that had access to every table, data & form and then started removing instead of adding. Went quicker…

Well, maybe this method is fast, but I don’t think it’s the more secure! When you set security, if recommended to give the minimal access, and the to add some accesses when the user is blocked. This method is a bit longer to do (and can create frustrations to the user), but this is the safest method I know to setup security access. If you do some test scenarios (use-case), you could be very accurate. Your quick solution could be ok if you just want your solution to work and the security is not really an issue.

quote:

Originally posted by jcsi
… For example, give a user some the two standard rules you have above and guess what he can’t see the menu.

Hi John, you have this error because you didn’t give the role ‘ALL’ to your user. You should assign the role ‘ALL’ to every user that is not a SUPER user. Please take time to read the manuals about security before you start doing your setup. And most important, make sure you do it the “navision way”. Recently I’ve seen one developer (not experienced) who put code on every form to give/restrict the access to users! Ouch! [xx(] Guess what happened when someone tried to update from 2.6 to 3.6 ??? This error gave headaches to everyone and cost A LOT of money to the customer because it was not well designed at the beginning.