Performance Problems - Speed Issues

Running Axapta Version 3, Service Pack 2, in 3-tier mode with a Max of 20 users. We have been experiencing ever increasing performance problems with MBS Axapta over the last 10 months. Average performance of the system is way down despite us having implemented servers, workstations and switching more than capable of handling the load. Examples: 1) Invoice Updating 20 Sales Orders (2-3 lines each on average), when you are the only user on the system can take between 15-20 minuets. 2) Paging through Sales Order headers, screen redraws take an absolute age, sometimes 30-40 secs to refresh the headers and another 15 secs to refresh the lines. The real problem is that these performance problems are intermittent although they have become more regular of late. There are no correlations between system load and performance problems, i.e. it can be as slow with one user as it is with 20. It’s not tied to specific tasks, i.e. reporting or updating. The SQL server performance and the AOS server performance never rise above 20% even when the system is running at snails pace! We have tried disabling scheduled backups and antivirus scans. We have excluded all Axapta and SQL files from virus scanning. We have tried reformatting all our workstations. We have re-installed the SQL server. We have run out of ideas! Network bandwidth etc is not a problem as we have Layer-3 fully managed switching throughout with a 10GBit backbone that all the servers connect directly to using 1Gbit fibre-optic NIC’s. Server specs are as follows: All servers run Windows 2003 Server Stnadard Edition. The DB server runs SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition CPU Licence. DB Server: Fujitsu-Siemens H250, Single Xeon 1.8HGz + HT, 2GB RAM, 8 x 15K SCSI HDD (1 x RAID 1 for OS, 1 x RAID 1 for Logs, 1 x RAID 10 for Data), Gigabit Intel Fibre NIC AOS Server Fujitsu-Siemens RX300, Single Xeon 2.66HGz + HT, 1GB RAM, 3 x 15K SCSI HDD (Configured in a RAID 5 Array), Gigabit Intel Fibre NIC We have 2 more server that handle file and print sharing, e-mail, active directory and IP telephony. Any help, experience, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Any need of further info, just post a request.

Hi, Some test to do: 1) Check credit limits on Header level only, not Header+Lines 2) Use smaller bitmap as company logo - not joking! 3) In the AOS settings check out the ‘initialize db for unicode’ 4) Do you have sp3a installed on MSSQL server ? 5) With the System Monitoring tool measure latency btw client and AOS. If its over 40 ms you found the problem. 6) Use Admin-Inquiries-Database: ‘Locking database users’ to find out deadlocks br,

Hi Andrew, Did you did an Axapta performance test? (administration/periodical/performance-test) I’m curious what results this gives during a day testing. (database connection, client-server connnection,…) Regards, Johan

Hi Andrew, Just curious - Is this problem resolved yet? The suggestions put forth by KK are excellent. Have you tried them yet? Please let us know. Cheers, Harish Mohanbabu

Hi, Just to update you all, we are waiting for our MBS reseller and networking company to come in and try out your suggestions. Thanks very much for all the interest and advise you have shown. I hope to have something to report very soon. Best Regards, Andy

Dear All, Thank-you for the suggestions and comments you have make, trying to help me resolve these performance problems. I am happy to say we have now cracked the problem. The solution was this: The fibre-optic network card in the database server was not functioning properly. That is to say, all diagnostics, network speed tests, network throughput tests etc checked out fine but when we moved off the Gigabit Fibre card to a standard 10/100MBit copper NIC performance improved 100 times! Fujitsu-Siemens are currently investigating this very strange and illusive hardware complication and hope to have some news for us soon. Once again, thanks to everyone and a reminder for us all that where computers are concerned, nothing, no matter how unlikely, is impossible. Best Regards, Andrew

Hi Andrew, Glad to know that you have managed to crack the problem. Thanks to your detailed response, I learnt something new today [:)] Best wishes, Harish Mohanbabu