Over Receive

Hi there ! Is there a way in Navision to receive more goods that what was actually ordered? Or can you give me some work arounds? Thanks

You won’t be able to do this without changing the Quantity on the Purchase Line. The easiest is to use a custom field for Quantity to Receive and use it to update the Quantity/Qty. to Receive fields.

I have seen many clients request a mod to do this, and I have seen a number of solutions that make this possible. All the mods shared one common feature… after a few months, the client asked if it was possible to undo the mod. rosine, you may be tempted tot let the client to convince you to make this mod for them, but what Chris is saying is the better solution, just create new fields that allow you to update the Order Quantity on the order, and use the other fields for reporting.

You need a mod for this. How it looks however depends on your customer requirements. We’ve implemented this feature in more than 100 projects (all in apparel, footwear, sporting goods). It’s very common to over/under receive in this kind of industry and there can be other issues involved. - Do you have to keep track of original orderd quantities? Probably yes if you do statistics and vendor rating on that quantity. - Do you allow (or want) warehouse people (sometimes they’re the first to notice the over/under receipt) to modify the purchase order or should it be possible to handle the difference in warehouse functionality? - Do you want to keep track of the reasons of under / over receipt? There’s more I can think of. Sometimes it starts with a simple question but it takes a lot more. (and of course sometimes it starts with a simple question that turns out to be not important after all)

Hi Willie, I am sure that you have done this by changing the Quantity Field inthe sales line to match what will actually be received, and then create a NEW field to track the originally orders quantity, in this case, you are CHANGING the original ordered quantity. I have seen solutions written where the Quantity Field remainied the same, and a ton of code was used to work around this, leading to a complete night mare. rosine, if you do decide to do this, then DO NOT try to keep the Quantity field the same, make sure that it changes to reflect what is actually received, and use other fields for reporting.

Hi, In one of my implementations, The requriement was met like this. 1) 2 Fields on the Item Master : 1 Boolean to check whether to alloe over reciept or not. 2) Another becomes active when 1st is checked yes : A percentage by which to allow over reciept. 3) Modification on the Purchase line for the Qty. to recieve field to Update as Order Qty. * Percentage mentioned on the item master ( If it is there.) This was an Agri-Products Processing unit. Met most of the requirements. Regards, DD

quote:

Hi there ! Is there a way in Navision to receive more goods that what was actually ordered? Or can you give me some work arounds? Thanks
Originally posted by rosine - 2005 Jun 14 : 16:20:12

The original question is a pretty simple one. I’m wondering if there is a little over anaylizing…Custom Fields, Code Changes…I’d like to know a bit more… Maybe a simple Item Journal is the answer (if you don’t want to pay for the additional goods)[}:)] or as mentioned Just change the Qty Ordered Field or even add another Purchase Line for the additional goods. (if you have to pay for it)

As you know, standard Navision does not allow you to overprocess (ship, receive, transfer, invoice, anything), and this is controlled by the value of the Quantity field (this happens anywhere you have a document that has a line with items on it). Navision allows you to go under but not over. So, to create functionality to allow overprocessing, the easiest way to do this is to write a process that re-opens the document, increase the quantity (and dont forget to VALIDATE the quantity field), release the document and post the process. Since the hard part is always in the details, you could fill in that part in a million different ways. Do you want to enter some kind of overage percentage or an absolute value? Do you want this to be different for different units of measure? Is it linked to quantities or dollar value? Do you want to set this up database wide, or per user, or per customer, or per vendor? Do you want to link this to Item hierarchy, or have some kind of linkage with discounts etcetera? There’s a million questions to answer to create a process like that. Most of the time, it is not as easy as ‘we want to be able to overreceive’, and there are these ‘hidden’ requirements that make perfect sense to the customer that we are suppsoed to automatically know about. That’s why you get all the suggestions, because we all have seen requirements like this.

oh right, the question :slight_smile: Manual workaround: Re-open the document, change the quantity, release the document again, enter the quantity to receive and post. Anything else would be custom functionality.

Hi, The easiest way is to reopen the PO, edit the quantity ordered, which in turn would update quantity to receive and then again release the order. This would not require customisation. Before the ordered quantity is edited, the PO could be archived to keep track of the original PO. This would require the archiving granule. Usually, by the time quantity is received the original PO would have been sent to the vendor. A normal purchasing procedure would require an amendment to the PO. Shouldn’t Navision be looking at creating an option of having amendment to PO. This is a requirement which we come across at many implementations.

quote:

Hi Willie, I am sure that you have done this by changing the Quantity Field inthe sales line to match what will actually be received, and then create a NEW field to track the originally orders quantity, in this case, you are CHANGING the original ordered quantity…
Originally posted by David Singleton - 2005 Jun 16 : 17:31:04

That’s correct. We always try to stick as close to standard Navision as possible. If a manual procedure is not enough I think a modification like this is the preferred one.