Our NSC is not Up-To-Date?

We are on Nav 3.10A and want to upgrade to 3.70. Called our NSC 2 months ago to inquire about a demo of its new features before moving forward. Our NSC told us that Microsoft did not release tool kits until end of November. It would take time for them to implement this upgrade therefore they would not be able to do a demo for us till end of January 2004. How is it possible? From what I understand, NSC is supposed to get their tool kit prior Microsoft releasing its new upgrade to end user at least couple months ahead and 3.70 was released in Aug 2003. Is it normal that NSC will not implement new version of Navision 6 months later after its release? Or our NSC is not Up-To-Date? or other reasons? Thanks

DON’T ASK TWICE ! Every active user will find it wherever you post your question ! If it is in the wrong board the webmaster will sort it

Sorry guys Just wanted to get attention.

quote:

Originally posted by iammicky
DON’T ASK TWICE ! Every active user will find it wherever you post your question ! If it is in the wrong board the webmaster will sort it

What’s Your point? Shouldn’t these kind of questions be allowed?

We’ve already done several upgrades to 3.7…in USA… maybe what your NSC is wanting is for the final solution to the average cost problem… If you’re using average cost on your items may be they’re waiting for the final release of the average cost fix…

To try to clarify some points:

quote:

Originally posted by euronail
…Our NSC told us that Microsoft did not release tool kits until end of November…How is it possible? From what I understand, NSC is supposed to get their tool kit prior Microsoft releasing its new upgrade to end user at least couple months ahead and 3.70 was released in Aug 2003…

The Upgrade Kits are released a couple of months after the product release. In the case of 3.70 in the US, I think the kit came out in mid-September (this is from memory).

quote:

We are on Nav 3.10A and want to upgrade to 3.70. Called our NSC 2 months ago to inquire about a demo of its new features before moving forward…It would take time for them to implement this upgrade therefore they would not be able to do a demo for us till end of January 2004…

If you want to see the new features, I don’t really see what the upgrade has to do with viewing new features. I would think you could be shown a demo of the released version without any of your data/custom?

quote:

…Is it normal that NSC will not implement new version of Navision 6 months later after its release?..

If you wanted to actually do an upgrade, then January might have been a realistic timeframe.

I agree with Chris. There is no reason why a Demo cannot be shown of the new features of 3.70. As far as upgrade goes, I believe there was/is a problem with the 3.70 Upgrade toolkit. I don’t have the particular issues with the upgrade at hand, but I my thoughts would be not rush into doing a 3.70 upgrade. Ashok.

We have our cost fix after 11 months. We are currently checking all the mods to make sure they aren’t affected by all the upgraded fob’s that are needed to make this work. & right now some of them are. Upgrading is more than just poping in the new CD and clicking install. Maybe they wanted to show you a demo with your data so it made more sence. That would take time. We are finally happy with 3.1B with 3.6 executables now that the cost fix has finally happened. And now that we are have everything he way we want and everything works very well the move to 3.7 is not that important to us.

Hmmm. at least they can get you to 3.1B with the cost fix, no?

There is no reason not to do a 3.70 upgrade. Unless you have identified a specific issue that woukd affect your implementation. Many people complain about “incorrect costing” without actually determining if that will affect you. The conversion tools have been available for some time now. As an end user, my only concern, is that if you are moving from a pre 3xx version, don’t be amoung the first 10 or so conversions that your NSC does, unless you are very confident with them. You should at least push your NSC for a demo.

Well, what I meant “wanted to see demo” was to see new/standard/update features in 3.7 without our custom features. Only after seeing what in 3.7 compares with our current version, we will make decision whether to upgrade or not.

Are you saying that still 4 months after its release, you have still not seen out of the box 3.70? [V]

As an end user myself I wouldn’t have waited. I would have called another solution partner right away for another answer. Your partner should have been able to give you a demo even before it was released (when they had the beta version available - that’s one of the reasons for having the beta program - to let the partners learn the program before the release). Actually it’s my experience that you should always have at least two different solution partners whom you always called to get a quote. I know that it will cost you some extra in knowledge transfer and so, but in the long run you’ll be so much better of. If you partner know that you’ll call someone else if they don’t get the right answer, then the’ll have to give you a better service.

Erik, with all the respect I don’t agree with you. When a customer calls for a chage request, I think you should always give the right quote. If a customer has to call another NSC to keep the price low there is already something terrible wrong. Besides, if every time you want an upgrade or a major change, yo uhave to call 3 NSC’s they will get very tired of being rejected everytime… Besides that, things like this will drives prices down an acceptable level: we have seen it happening because some NSC’s need(ed) new customers desperatily, and will offer even beneath cost price, just to be able to invoice the yearly upgrade. Thereby, you state that knowledhe transfer will cost some, I think, in most cases it costs a lot more than you could imagine. We also took over some customers who weren’t sattisfied with their NSC, but it takes time to build it up, especially when there is a lot of customisation. The goal should be to choose your solution and your partner once and wisely, and then build up a relationship based on trust…

As a part of this whole selection issue, it’s part of the customer’s obligation to themselves to really try and educate themselves on what they are getting into with Navision. So often I’ve seen the approach by NSCs to say…Hey, we’re in your own back yard. We’ve got to be better and will always offer better service than those high priced NSCs. The problem is that customers might get into the product with less expenses up front, but they’ll end up spending a great deal more on the other side. To many times the NSC takes the approach that let’s just get the software in and we’ll work out all the bugs later. The problem is that they never get worked out. Since MBS took over, they’ve really opened up the floodgates and let virtually any “Certified Navision Consultant” start their own NSC…even if they don’t have a physical location to work out of and the entire organization is made up of independent consultants, payed on an hourly basis, and are simply hired guns. This is a bait and switch scam that happens way too often. Believe, I know several organizations that fit this mold. The sad thing is these “NSCs” have hoodwinked Microsoft as well. This has been the comment that has come up when I’ve talked with many of my clients that switched NSCs to my team after having a bad start to their implementation. Too often they don’t find out until it’s too late. I know this will get the thread going again, but it’s really an issue that must be addressed. MBS seems to be ignoring it…as Navision did for years. Why would Navision care? For them it just meant more presence and Navision pushers in the marketplace. They really didn’t seem too worried about the bad implementations…only the new sales. Gee, how many user forums are there out there that are sponsored by Navision? Well, let’s see…NONE! Don’t get me wrong. I feel Navision is still the best product out there for the midmarket. The problem I speak of is not really a Navision problem either…it’s a part of the IT industry as a whole. Where clients don’t understand things, they get taken advantage of. Believe me, I’ve seen so many “NSCs” out there making money hand over fist and really didn’t know what they were doing. It’s unfortunate for the unsuspecting public. My bottom line on this is research, research, research… Ask for references. Reputable companies should be able to exceed your expectations…not just meet them. If you need help, call Navision directly. For those of you who don’t know, I worked directly for Navision US for 5 years (Channel Manager, Product Manager, and Support) and have since moved over to the reseller channel. If they don’t answer, then email me…I can point you in the right direction! Send me any inquiries at billmoffett@charter.net Thanks for letting me rant[xx(]