Opening NAV Page without opening NAV client through command prompt

HI All,

To reduce memory usage, I want to open a NAV page (e.g. Sales Order) through command prompt without opening NAV client.

I have tried with command Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.exe Dynamicsnav:////runpage?page=nn in command prompt but it opens NAV client also along with the page.

Note: nn = ID of Page

Your reply would be highly appreciated and very much helpful.

Thanks !!

• Savan

No, you can’t do that. There’s no reason for it. If your machine is that low on memory you should probably upgrade it. Memory is dirt cheap.

Thanks for suggestion Matt…

But I have a reason for it, I want to perform some testing activity with available resources taking around 50/60 RDP session or more of that machine and opening Sales Order on all RDP sessions simultaneously, when I do that speed of application gets very slow. As NAV client is consuming lot of memory so thinking of this work around.

Hi,

You can run an RDLC report from command prompt. But i never tried with pages is there is a way? i would like to know about it.

So now you know that running a page from a shortcut also opens the RTC client. This is a valid test result, and you can use that information to draw conclusions from your testing. Don’t try to create artificial situations for testing purposes only. Testing should simulate realistic situations, and that’s what you should be reporting on.

Well Daniel, I agree: “Don’t try to create artificial situations for testing only”. But being a “beginner” who wants to learn the limits in the program (and move away from the beginner forum) I do admire people who wants to test just to better understand the product. My hat off for that. That’s how I also learned when I started with NAV 20 years ago.

But we can also conclude that it’s not possible to run a page object in RTC without also opening the client. Lesson learned.

To Savan: If performance is a real killer and all you need is a single page, then you could consider building function of this page into a web service and wrap it with your own Windows apps. Not really something I would recommend, but if I had the time then I could see it as a good learning process, and maybe you would end up with something useable. [:)]

Thank you very much Erik for encouraging beginners :):slight_smile:

We are finding out the work around on this issue for doing performance testing.
Definitely we will come up with some solution for this. Will post my findings here once we done with it.

Thanks a lot!!