OLE Control or Automation Server Error

Hi Guys, I have an OLE Control or Automation Server error when trying to log a segment that has a word document attached to it via the Interaction Template. When the user goes to Log the Segment it starts to produce the Word Document and fails with the following error… This message is for C/AL Programmers: Could not create an instance of the OLE control or Automation server identified by GUID={3C2554FE-2B41-4543-B3E8-E64296773DA5] 2.0:{40D88563-F0DA-4B3D-AD1B-34EFA8C3978A} UNknown Automation Server.Unknown Class. Check that the OLE control or Automation server is correctly installed and registered. I havent a clue what this means but I guess I’m missing an OCX or something as I had similar thing recently with online submission of payroll year end data. Does anyone know what is missing he says hopefully [?]. Thanks…Paul

Did you install your Navision client or just copy it from another installation? In the last case, try to install the client. This should register automatically the needed OCX’s and DLL’s.

Hi Alain again. I didnt install the clients but I guess it must be some like the OCX’s or DLL’s as it works on my machine when I connect to their server. I guess I will have to go visit the client and reinstall the client in repair mode myself. Again, thanks for your help it is very much appreciated.

Correct, As a reminder, you should compile All objects if you have time. See what appears, usually only Microsoft basic 15->25 objects will not compile because of their other OCX/DLL’s used. That’s o.k. If you go to different client sites with different versions, you may need to do the same thing (Install Client version). If the client has an Add-on from another reseller that does special OCX/DLL stuff, you may also need to install those objects to get the program to run. Remember, proper installation at a client site is always a good thing to do on all workstations, some people just COPY / PASTE the navision folder to a workstation, I usually advise not to do things like that (As you saw). Quote: A penny wise, pound foolish.

Hi Geovanny, thanks for that. I would never advocate doing a copy/paste because of the registry entries that are made. It looks like I am going to have to go see them and rebuild the clients so they all have the correct .dll’s/.ocx’s. All input gratefully accepted…Paul

Paul, althought he Copy aste is the main source of this issue, it can also happen for other reasons. Definitely what Kriki and gfuentes say is the common issue, but I think look further at what gfuentes says about third party Add-Ons calling OCXs.

I think the Navision object is programmed with one version of Office, and another version of Office (or maybe even NO version of Office) is installed on the computer that runs the process. Connecting to those external apps is pretty sensitive to the right version.

Thanks Daniel, I knew there were other issues, but couldn’t rememebr them all. ON that point, another one, is if you install Navision and THEN install Office, it won’t work. You have to have office installed BEFORE you install Navision.

Hi David, nice to hear from you again and I hope you are well. Basically, the clients were installed by the customer but as far as I know, they were installed correctly i.e they did not use copy and paste. However I dont know what options they selected on install so certain components such as .dll’s and ocx’s could have been missed. Applications such as Word and Excel were already on the client already as this is an upgrade from 2.60 to 4.0 SP1 and prior to the upgrade they were using Contact Management to mailmerge Word Documents. I am going to have to visit the customer and reinstall the client via Repair mode and ensure that all the correct options are selected with the exception of Outlook Tool Bar and MSDE. Thanks to all for input into this problem and I will let you know the result as soon as Ive been there…Paul

The mentioned GUID is related to the MergeHandler automation object in the NSAppHandler.dll in the Program files, Common files\Navision\Application Handler\NSAppHandler.dll So this is definitely a client Setup issue. I cannot verify right now which feature must be ticked when installing Navision, but a full install will definitely include that DLL. Even though that this GUID (at least on my machine relates to a version 2.1 and not 2.0. So you could check the same on: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{40D88563-F0DA-4B3D-AD1B-34EFA8C3978A} within your registry. This one must exist. Best regards Thomas

Hi Thomas, good to hear from you too. I will check this out, thanks for the help. Hope you had a good Easter…Paul