Odd Single User Synchronize Issue

We have a user experiencing an odd issue with single user synchronize. The client runs a full synchronization at night and it will complete without error. During the next day, a user reports a permission error that needs to be corrected in order for them to continue to perform their job. The admin has them log out of the system, adds the necessary permissions to their windows login or to their windows group and runs single user synchronize. The process completes without error, however, when the user logs back in and tries to perform the task the permission error persists. The admin has them log out and runs the synch again (without making any further changes to permissions or roles). The user logs back in and gets the same permission error again. This process of log out, synchronize, log in, test is repeated 4 times before the user can perform the activity without a permission error. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ADDITIONAL DETAILS ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- If a user is not a member of any windows group that is present in the Navision windows login table then the synchronize completes and the user is able to perform the task on the first try. If a user is inheriting all Navision permissions from a windows group in the windows login table and has no roles assigned to their individual windows login then the synchronize completes and the user is able to perform the task on the first try. If a user inherits permissions from a windows group and has roles assigned at the individual login then the synchronize completes, but, the user is unable to perform the task until the third or fourth re-synchronize. If a user is a member of multiple windows groups that are in the windows login table then the synchronize completes, but, the user is unable to perform the task until the third or fourth re-synchronize. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ENVIRONMENT DETAILS ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Server: Windows 2000 Client: Windows XP Pro Database: SQL 2000 fully updated (SP4) Navision Client: v4.00 build #21544 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- DATABASE HISTORY ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- The client was running version 3.10B but decided to apply the 4.00 client to all workstations in anticipation of an upgrade. The client did not do a backup and restore but connected with the 4.00 client and clicked ok to upgrade. I have not been able to reproduce the issue. Has anyone had this issue? Alternatively, can anyone shed some light on why this might be happening? Thank you.

Apologies for replying with a question rather than an answer but your post mentions a “single user synchronize” which is something I am currently not familiar with. I have a client with a large number of windows users and the standard syncronize option (tools,security,synchronise) takes a long time and slows down the system for other users. If there is an option to synchronize for a single user I would be grateful if you could advise me how it is done even if your post suggests it is not perfect. Many thanks, Chris.

Chris, A new build(21544) is available for v4.0. Go to the partnersource knowledge base and search for KB Article ID : 901112. This will tell you how to get the latest update for the client that includes the single user synchronize feature. EDIT: You could also upgrade to 4.0 SP1 that also has the funtion.

When we first moved from a 2.6 codebase to 4.0, we had a lot of problems with the permissions and the sync “feature”. Several users had reported problems with permissions, we would add them, sync the user, and have them try again with no luck. Temporarily giving them db_owner for the day, and then doing a full sync at night when no one was on seemed to solve the problem. Also, I took a much closer look at all of the rights that I was granting to users, and tried to make sure that I wasn’t granting rights that were contradictory (like allowing write in one role and not read only in another role). Anyway, the whole permisions scheme on 4.0 with SQL is the pits. It takes us 30+ minutes to sync, everyone has to be out, and it gives you no progress on what it is doing. Great stuff.

Thank you for the information. Unfortunately, the admin does not want to use the temporary db_owner option. We are trying to narrow the problem to set of specific circumstances and I will post an update to this if needed. Thanks again for the help.