ODBC and ORACLE

Hi all! Is it possible to read data from and write data to an ORACLE-DB using ODBC (or whatelse?) from within NAVISION? Example: When in NAVISION a “Sales Order” is created, some fields of the “Sales Lines” should be written to the ORACLE-database. A Logistic-System - based on that ORACLE-DB - does any processing on these records, and writes the result to it’s database - the “ORACLE-Sales Lines”. Now NAVISION should read that result from the ORACLE-DB and start any processing. Could this be done? How? ODBC? Any ideas? Thank you in advance! Best regards, Jörg

I did use ODBC Intouch <=> Oracle and that worked fine, if you know what ODBC to use. We preferred to use the Microsoft one over the one from Oracle, since the Microsoft one seemed to be more robust and was able to handle more SQL statements than the Oracle one.

Hi nav_nav! Please, could you explain that case a little more detailed? What’s “ODBC Intouch”? Where available? How to connect to NAVISION? Automation? Thanx, Jörg

quote:

Originally posted by stryk
Hi nav_nav! Please, could you explain that case a little more detailed? What’s “ODBC Intouch”? Where available? How to connect to NAVISION? Automation? Thanx, Jörg

Sorry I was unclear. I ment Intouch <=> ODBC <=> Oracle. Intouch is a SCADA, MES package for builidng user interfaces (equipment engineering). I remember there were ODBC’s available from Oracle and from Microsoft. We had to use the Microsoft one because it allowed more SQL statements to be used (such as avg and stuff like that).

Are you using the SQL version of Attain? There you can set up an Attain table to point to a SQL view. The view can look into an Oracle table using the (Microsoft or Oracle) OLEDB provider for Oracle. So you can read/update the data in a regular Attain table without any coding. Otherwise, I suppose you’ll have to set up a client ODBC data source into Oracle and use ADO Automation in Navision and some coding to do it.

Thank you Robert! We are running 3.60.A (2.60.D) on a “native” DB and we don’t want to switch to SQL … So, maybe that “ADO-thing” could be a chance … [:)] Best regards, Jörg

Hi Robert, What you mentioned is just to read from Oracle Db and update Attain tables. But have you done any integration b/w Attain and Oracle Financials whereby the data from Attain will update Oracle Financials, and vice-cersa?

Patrick, From Attain version 3.01 you are able to update the Attain “table”, which is actually an Orcale table not an Attain table, and not merely read from it. The only restriction is that the update is ‘out of transaction’ - i.e. it is not part of a current running transaction. (This would need a distributed transaction coordinator and that is not implemented). I have tried this and it worked with Oracle 8. I think I used the Oracle OLEDB provider from Microsoft, not Oracle.