Objects Rolling Back

I’m experiencing a major problem with NF 2.60 D when developing on a client server environment. We’re 3 developers, we all develop in different area and we’re experimenting problems of objects going back to older version :frowning: (We do develop in a Client/Server environment) ie: During the morning I modify and saved a few times an object, I come back from my lunch and surprise all my code is gone, it’s seems that the object are times to times rolling back. I’m 100% sure of the following : - I’m the only person who has worked on that object - No one has imported an older FOB and overwritten my object - I did save my object because I went back there several time to add some more code This problem occur constantly and was not a one off, it might sounds odd but I assure you that we’re all sober and we’re not on drugs either :wink: So my question is, did anyone experienced a similar problem ? tarek_demiati@ureach.com Edited by - Tarek Demiati on 2001 Feb 26 09:56:48

I did. I developed some nice dataports and the day after - poof! - they were all gone. My collegues swore they didn’t touch them. Sorry, I only can offer moral support. We didn’t ever be able to find out what happened. :frowning:

We never experienced loss of objects just that terrible “Back To The Past” feature. Basically yesterday I rewrote three times the same chunck of code. This is getting frustrating … tarek_demiati@ureach.com

You can reduce Object Cache to 0.

If you reduce as Agustin told the Object Cache to 0, Database DBMS cache to 100 and set writing cache to false, you will reduce at minimum those failures. Regards – Alfonso Pertierra apertierra@teleline.es Spain

We always develop with 0 for Object Cache and DBMS cache was also set to the minimum 100 and we’re still getting this problem :~( Is there anyone out there developing in client/server with 2 or 3 programmers working concurrently using NF 2.60 D ? tarek_demiati@ureach.com

This is a dumb question, but: are you sure you’re looking at the same database after lunch that you were modifying before lunch? I know I have run into similar problems when I do mods in one DB and then shut down the NF client and start it up again… ------- Tim Horrigan

Tarek, We have done (are doing) developments in several projects with several programmers working simultaneously on 2.60 (versions up to D) in SQL version and didn’t experience the loss of objects or code as you describe. There have been moments however, when we were doubting in which version the modifications were made… So, to make it more obvious if we are working on the testsystem or the livesystem, we put a large label on the main menu showing “TEST DB” or “LIVE DB” in a bright color. When you have lost the modifications, is the date/time of the object also changed? John

We’re also working using client/server structure and having up to 8/10 different NF servers (using similar and different versions) running on a machine, up to 2.60C. We haven’t got problems of those type… but, as usual, sometimes working in local databases instead of using the server ones for tests makes us having a small surprise from since to since… That’s why usually when opening a database i use the Files->Database->Information option for seeing if i’m on the database i’m really wanting to be… but never had that loose of changes… just loose of database :wink: Regards – Alfonso Pertierra apertierra@teleline.es Spain

From my experience I can only confirm the statements from John and Alfonso. I never encountered this problem in any version starting NF 1.1 to 2.6. Marcus Marcus Fabian phone: +41 79 4397872 m.fabian@thenet.ch

John : Only the Time Stamp roll to a few hours back … But surprisingly for the last past few days we’re no longer experiencing this problem tarek_demiati@ureach.com

HI Tarek One Question? Are you guys developing on an SQL server? I have also experianced this problem on my previous project. Only With SQL. We were developing on 2.6B now 2.6C. We also could not find solution to the problem. Its almost as if all the objects are booked out by a developer, then written back. So if Dev A designs a form then Dev B design another form then Dev B saves the form then Dev A saves her form. Dev B loses his form. This did not happen constantly either…

Only one thing to say: “Take a look at Window Watcher” - available from www.mynavision.net in the download section. Michael who did this program has a real nice product. It allows you to do multi-user development, with tracking of opened objects, locking, while you are developing your Winwatch status window shows you which objects are opened by other developers etc. If you try accessing an object locked by another developer, the system closes the object automatically. If you need more information i can provide this to you. Currently we are approx. 15 developers using this tool at my NSC. /Soren Edited by - SNielsen on 2001 Mar 03 08:13:36

Hello Craig, Yes we did experience this problem when developing using a SQL back end DB, since we could not fix the problem we moved back our development server to Navision native. And so far so good since we’re on native we don’t experience this problem. There is definetely a problem with SQL…

quote:

Originally posted by craigneedham: HI Tarek One Question? Are you guys developing on an SQL server? I have also experianced this problem on my previous project. Only With SQL. We were developing on 2.6B now 2.6C. We also could not find solution to the problem. Its almost as if all the objects are booked out by a developer, then written back. So if Dev A designs a form then Dev B design another form then Dev B saves the form then Dev A saves her form. Dev B loses his form. This did not happen constantly either…

tarek_demiati@ureach.com

quote:

Originally posted by Tarek Demiati: I’m 100% sure of the following : - I’m the only person who has worked on that object - No one has imported an older FOB and overwritten my object - I did save my object because I went back there several time to add some more code

There are some things to take care of when working with several developers on the same database. When you’re working on your objects and save them and another user compiles several objects by selecting them and hitting F11 in the object designer, then your object might be switched back to the old version. This is because the other user does not have access to the latest version of your object. This applies especially to codeunits, while changes to tables are quite immideatly available for other developers. The object cache could be a problem, too. I would recommend using small object cache or even zero bytes object cache to avoid problems.