Object Manager as an "Open Source" Project

Anna, I have never had anything like that happen in the whole year of development. The OM is just a view of the Object table so if it is not seeing something, there must be a filter set. Could you have had a filter set on the form. The Object type filter is in a filtergroup on the form. but you could set an additional filter on the type. Had you imported or exported anything or copied something that might have set a filter and not released it. try unchecking the project filter and using the show all button then rechecking the project filter. You can not delete an object from the OM form except one object at a time using an Object Management > Objects menu choice. On the last type and last id viewed function that doesn’t seem to be working properly. Again thanks for your bravery Steve

Just wondering… Has anyone else installed the object manager? What kind of results have you had?

quote:

Anna, I have never had anything like that happen in the whole year of development. The OM is just a view of the Object table so if it is not seeing something, there must be a filter set.
Originally posted by SPost29 - 2005 May 06 : 16:27:43

Of course! Silly me! [:I] Anyway, I still wonder how did the filter get set while I was out for lunch? [:P] Anna

Uh, Steve, is it normal that whenever I open, run, compile, etc. an object from Object Manager, the Object Designer window comes to foreground? [?] It’s a bit confusing [xx(] Anna

Anna, That’s normal – your not going crazy (at least not from this) You need to move the Object Designer form down so that all that shows is the title bar of object designer. What is happening is that the Sendkeys (which runs design, new, run, and compile) has to activate Object designer to sendkeys to it. When I use OM I keep OD down in the very bottom of my screen so I can just grab the title bar if i need it. It sits down there very happily while I use OM. Hope this helps Steve

Hi, Steve I’ve been trying your tool for a while. I think I’ve discovered a feature. [;)] In the OM main form with “Mark Project” filter on, if you select and remove an object from the marked project, the filter goes off. Now, thinking about it, that might as well be a real feature, since leaving the filter on would cause the removed object desappear. Anyway, I think that one working on a project might be more interested in the objects that are still part of it then in the ones that are being removed… ever less in the ones which never had anything to do with it. Whaddayou think? [:)] Anna

Hi Anna, good to hear from you!! If I understand what you would like. when you are filtered on project X and you remove Table 23 from the project You want the filter to remain set on project X and just have Table 23 not be on the list anymore(disappear)? If this is what you mean I agree, if not, what kind of crazy idea are you talking about anyway?[:)] Thanks Anna for your interest and ideas. It’s wonderful to have someone trying to use the OM and giving me feedback If I can help in any way please ask Steve PS do you want to add that feature and send me the code or shall I put it on my bug list. The next release will be near the end of June

quote:

Hi Anna, good to hear from you!! If I understand what you would like. when you are filtered on project X and you remove Table 23 from the project You want the filter to remain set on project X and just have Table 23 not be on the list anymore(disappear)?

Precisely. [:D]

quote:

If this is what you mean I agree, if not, what kind of crazy idea are you talking about anyway?[:)] Thanks Anna for your interest and ideas. It’s wonderful to have someone trying to use the OM and giving me feedback If I can help in any way please ask Steve PS do you want to add that feature and send me the code or shall I put it on my bug list. The next release will be near the end of June
Originally posted by SPost29 - 2005 Jun 10 : 12:04:13

I might try to do it myself, can’t say when, though. Do you think the present feature may be discharged or would it be better to allow a choice? I really can’t think of any serious reason one should prefere to have the filter removed, but maybe I just lack the fantasy. Anna PS - Oh, I retrieved and applied the last release, thanks [:)]

Hi Anna, The one of the design philosophies was to give users choice, the only reason I could think of for releasing the filter would be so you could add something else after you removed the unneeded object. without having to release the filter. I could go either way on the choice part on this one, I think the default anyway should be to keep the project filter. I’ll play with it and see how hard it would be My guess is not very hard Thanks Steve