NSC's - Implementation tracking

I’m currently trying to redesign the way that we internally track all information associated with a Navision implementation. Navision’s implementation toolkit is really just a good start. Before I spend the time to design something from scratch I thought I would find out from other NSC’s what they are using and what they thought about it. Does anyone have a system that they use that easily tracks all information related to a modification? Functional Spec, technical spec, code review, test cases, approval documents, document revisions, code revision, test result, Navision objects… Do you have a system in place that ties all of this together with the other services to track the complete implementation? What have you used and liked and/or disliked? Any feedback you could give me would be great. I’m sure that every NSC has faced this same challenge. Thanks.

Dear mindi-lou, companies have their own methodologies to track information. I think that nobody will give these methodologies for free.

I’m not looking for new methodologies. I’m looking for the one piece of software that hold all of the pieces of information together. I know that some companies use just Word and Excel documents and just tie them together with a number or a title . I know of a company that used Lotus Notes and another that uses a program called Clientele. Personally I think Navision can be modified to track all of this information but it would be a big project to do it correctly so before I embark on such a project I would like to know if any one already has the perfect software or modifications in use. I’m sorry if I wasn’t clear in my earlier post. Thanks. Mindi Estrella Navision Team Leader ICS Support, Inc.

We are currently developing a (what we call) Change Management which holds all developement changes. This tool is a 100% Navision application but it does not hold all information as you request. We keep track of version numbers and about which programmer has done when which change on what project etc. However it does not store technical specs, test-cases etc. unless they are documented within the Navision objects. See also http://www.navision.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1926&FORUM_ID=9&CAT_ID=3&Topic_Title=Change+Management&Forum_Title=Attain%2FFinancials+%2D+Developer+Forum and http://www.navision.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1353&FORUM_ID=9&CAT_ID=3&Topic_Title=Comments+Cutting+Tool&Forum_Title=Attain%2FFinancials+%2D+Developer+Forum ------- With best regards from Switzerland Marcus Fabian

Mindi. It’s my understanding that Navision is developing a program to do just what you are talking about. I’ve heard something about a “pipeline tool”. You may wish to contact your NTR - perhaps they will have more information for you.

We use system written in Navision, which tracks all changes made to our clients systems. It reads the Headers of all the fob’s and records all the details such as version numbering and who did the work. We can get the history of all changes made to a clients system and retrieve the fob that a change was made in. The system is also integrated into our accounting system and Quality control systems. All documents relating to the system are filed using the system and it works well. If you are a navision developer then you should use your product to deal with your business needs. If you don’t why would you expect your customers to use Navision for theirs. Paul Baxter

We’ve developed something in Access to track our changes. We have a “documentation” section that describes the modification to be made, why it’s being made, etc. Then we have areas where we document the changes made to each object, new code, etc. We’ve even put in a place for screen shots of modified forms, report layouts, etc. It works really well for us. It also gives us reports that we can give to the client when they ask for documentation as to the mods to their database. I used to try and track all of this using various word documents, etc. This is much easier. We’re thinking about selling it to channel members that may be interested in it, but haven’t come up with a price as of yet. Mark Keener Automated Number Crunching Dayton, OH USA

Mindi, Version 2.0 of the Navision Toolkit, shows all documents in HTML to which the documents are linked per project phase. What you could do (and we are considering) is copying the toolkit for each project and link the project specific documents here.

quote:

Originally posted by mindi-lou: I’m currently trying to redesign the way that we internally track all information associated with a Navision implementation. Navision’s implementation toolkit is really just a good start. Before I spend the time to design something from scratch I thought I would find out from other NSC’s what they are using and what they thought about it. Does anyone have a system that they use that easily tracks all information related to a modification? Functional Spec, technical spec, code review, test cases, approval documents, document revisions, code revision, test result, Navision objects… Do you have a system in place that ties all of this together with the other services to track the complete implementation? What have you used and liked and/or disliked? Any feedback you could give me would be great. I’m sure that every NSC has faced this same challenge. Thanks.