NF 2.00A test field relationships between tables

Hello, Recently performed maximum test on the Navision database 2.00A All is OK except many errors when testing field relationships between tables. Is it serious? How dangerous can it be? Database is old, and what I know of, these field errors where there since a few years, because some fields where deleted from some tables in the past. Many (about a half of all) errors consider old printers, so I guess it’s not so important. Thanks for help!

Continuing my previous post, I grouped errors received when testing table relationships and it looks like that (tested up to 49% ONLY !!!): 1. Reason Code fields in General Ledger Entry, Cust. Ledger Entry, Vendor Ledger Entry and Item Ledger Entry related to: -Code field missing in Reason Code table (ca. 300) 2. Other error when testing: -Code field missing in Ship-to Address table (a few) -Prod. Order No. field missing Prod. Order Header table (ca. 10000 and many many more) -No. field missing in Item table (ca. 50) -Code field missing in Item Unit of Measure table (ca. 50) -2 missing users, e.g. JackN -Customer Item No. field in Item Price table (ca. 4000 and many many more) NOTE: above results are for database tested up to 49% ONLY !!! Seems like deleted fields in some tables. My questions are: 1) how really serious could it be considering that such database was working since a few years? 2) how to fix mentioned tables? guessing that I just need to restore missing fields, because if I would need to restore all records manually… that’s just suicide… 3) in opposite to question 2), considering that mentioned fields are no longer needed for database to work, how do I remove relationships between tables? Please advise what to do best in such scenario. Thank you for reading this!

Kuba, the “error” you mention can be quite a common one, taking into account that you run Navision for a couple of years. All the occurences of the “error” you mention related to the fact that certain setup tables do not have a record anymore that relates to specific fields in the entry tables. E.g. in the past you used a certain “Reason Code” that is still used in several records in the ledger entry tables, but that code got deleted from the reason codes table later on. It does not mean at all that a field is missing in the ledger entry tables - that in fact would be very serious [;)]

quote:

1) how really serious could it be considering that such database was working since a few years?

It depends, it simply states that you use a code in a table, that does not exist in the setup table anymore… it can be serious, or not at all, depending on the data you are looking at. E.g. you mention “missing users, e.g. JackN”, which means that a user JackN once made postings in Navision, and later on the user JackN got removed from the system. It might be useful to know later on, who was this user, or not…

quote:

2) how to fix mentioned tables? guessing that I just need to restore missing fields, because if I would need to restore all records manually… that’s just suicide…

You could simply create the records again in the setup tables, but all these records perhaps have been deleted with a certain purpose (e.g. data cleaning or change in accounting procedures)

quote:

3) in opposite to question 2), considering that mentioned fields are no longer needed for database to work, how do I remove relationships between tables?

You must not at all remove these relationships, they are still valid and absolutly necessary for Navision to function correctly! Saludos Nils

quote:

Kuba, the “error” you mention can be quite a common one, taking into account that you run Navision for a couple of years. All the occurences of the “error” you mention related to the fact that certain setup tables do not have a record anymore that relates to specific fields in the entry tables. E.g. in the past you used a certain “Reason Code” that is still used in several records in the ledger entry tables, but that code got deleted from the reason codes table later on. It does not mean at all that a field is missing in the ledger entry tables - that in fact would be very serious [;)]

OK [:)] that’s good news.

quote:

It depends, it simply states that you use a code in a table, that does not exist in the setup table anymore… it can be serious, or not at all, depending on the data you are looking at. E.g. you mention “missing users, e.g. JackN”, which means that a user JackN once made postings in Navision, and later on the user JackN got removed from the system. It might be useful to know later on, who was this user, or not… You could simply create the records again in the setup tables, but all these records perhaps have been deleted with a certain purpose (e.g. data cleaning or change in accounting procedures) You must not at all remove these relationships, they are still valid and absolutly necessary for Navision to function correctly! Saludos Nils
Originally posted by nilsm - 2005 Nov 02 : 16:44:58

So in summary, the best course of action is not to touch this, right? [;)]

Kuba,

quote:

So in summary, the best course of action is not to touch this, right?

Well, you could run the test without the relationship test, just to be sure that the rest is fine. Anyway, the backup creation does run these kind of tests and the restore recreates the keys, which are the crucial part of the database… if these ran fine (as it looks), you’re fine and can be happy…[8D] Saludos Nils

quote:

Well, you could run the test without the relationship test, just to be sure that the rest is fine. Anyway, the backup creation does run these kind of tests and the restore recreates the keys, which are the crucial part of the database… if these ran fine (as it looks), you’re fine and can be happy…[8D] Saludos Nils
Originally posted by nilsm - 2005 Nov 03 : 09:21:17

Aye sir [:)] All other tests are OK, the problem is just within some table relationships. I am happy [:D]

quote:

I am happy

Glad to hear… we might call you the ideal customer, happy and satiesfied with Navision [;)] Saludos Nils