.NET Developer getting started with Navision-need help

Greetings all!

I’ve been enlisted by my company to create reports and perform modifications to forms. We use Nav 4.01. The last ten years I’ve worked with SAP and then .NET (VB.NET), but I am not familiar with C/SIDE or the scripting used with Report Writer.

I was wondering if anyone had any online references/resources or ideas that could help me get started?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Have a great day.

Chris from Wisconsin, USA (gadzilla1)

Read the Application Designers Guide that comes on the Product CD.

One of the first things I did was to check out the existing reports, some of the simple ones.
Using that as a template, get to understand the feel for the code and use the on-line help.

Dive in and create your own reports as soon as you can.

One thing that took me a while was to understand that the report can have Local as well as Global variables and how the Functions can be so useful as well as calling functions from other objects.

One thing you may want to try is the debugger, just turn it on as well the breakpoints, stepping through the code give a great idea of the sequence of events.

One last point, Navision does not paginate, so you have no idea of how many pages there will be until after it has run…

I agree with Colin. When you get a request to write a new report, you ask for a report that is similar, so you can model your new one after it. If you need to make adjustments to existing reports, you shoud ake a copy of the report first and make your changes to the copy, not the original, so you can revert back to the original.

Another very important thing is to not get frustrated with what the NAV designer cannot do. It’s not Visual Studio, there’s a whole bunch of things that you won’t be able to do. Of course when you have specific questions, you come in here and ask us. Before you know it, you will be answering questions yourself.

Good luck