Need information about AIF and services in AX

Hi I have good functionla knowledge and techinicall knowledge on Ax but I am very much new to Services. It would be a great help if some one suggest me how to get started with services and AIF. Let me know if any sites are there to give information regarding that.

Thanks in advance,

Santosh

Hi Santosh,

Welcome to Dynamics Users Group [:D]

This was posted to a Nav forum - I have moved it to a AX forum and hopeful you will get a response there.

Hi Santosh,

There are white papers in Partnersource and Customersource on this subject. Please have a look there.

Also have a look here - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics/ax/default.aspx

Finally if you have access to DAX 2009, please have a look in Developer’s guide. It is quite good.

Hope this helps,

Dear Harish,

I have found the AX Installation guide. It also covers the development setup which can be a local machine. However, I have next questions:

1. Can this be a XP Professional machine with Developers SQL database?

2. Do I need to setup an active directory for license validation?

3. I read the AOS instances are unique per installation. What I am used to do is to backup the production database and move it to my dev for testing. I understand that this is not possible and the AOS needs to be replicated on the server itself as a beta environment ? Or is there another way to replicate the production site towards a single development machine?

4. Do I need additional licenses for development purposes? I have 2 user licenses and a Business Connector license.

J.

It seems that the Microsoft Dynamics Ax Setup throws the next error if logged on a local machine:

You are logged with a local computer account ‘VM004’. You must be logged on with a domain account to run Microsoft Dynamics AX Setup. :frowning:

http://gatesasbait.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!D7481095C2C4B9F5!130.entry I don’t know if actual. I will give it a try.

The registry key change works.

Other question: May the SQL database be an SQL Express one?

I will install the standard server. However, can I actually backup my production database and use this for developing? So in the installation I choose for Connect to SQL database in which I restored my production database? Or will this fail? Otherwise I will have an empty database which is not very usefull.

SUMMARY:

→ So far fixed. Still testing. Need to set up Standard SQL. See post how to mislead the installer.

1. Can SQL Express be used?

2. Can I use a restored backup of my production database to connect with on this dev? That is an easy way of getting an exact copy + data. Or won’t this work?

3. If dev cannot use production database copy. How to do acceptance testing and more over: debugging with real life data?

We seem to run into next issue which looks like still domain controller/ active directoy is required :-(.

=== Setup logging started: 30-11-2009 9:35:33 ===
Running file: “C:\DOCUME~1\Rob\LOCALS~1\Temp\AxSetup\AxSetup.exe” RelatedFilesDir=“D:\DynamicsAX2009”
AxSetup version number: 5.0.593.0
Microsoft Windows NT 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 (32 bit)
VM004b
VM004\Rob
Interactive: True

RelatedFilesDir=D:\DynamicsAX2009
Property RelatedFilesDir set to: ‘D:\DynamicsAX2009’
Property SetupLanguage set to: ‘EN’

=== Loading parameters from the command line or a parameter file ===
Initializing log file: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dynamics AX\Dynamics AX Setup Logs\2009-11-30 09-35-33\DynamicsSetupLog.txt

=== Starting evaluation of existing installation state ===
MSI file: Components32.msi Installed: False
MSI file: ClientHelp.msi Installed: False

=== Checking parameters ===
Property InstallPath set to: ‘C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics AX\50’

=== Starting UI phase ===
Property AcceptLicenseTerms set to: ‘1’
Property BypassWarnings set to: ‘0’
Property RunMode set to: ‘DeveloperComponents’
Property InstallAnalysisServicesExtensions set to: ‘0’
Setup has detected that you are installing Application Object Server (AOS) on an operating system that is not supported for Microsoft Dynamics AX.
The minimum supported server operating system is Microsoft Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 2.
Property InstallAos set to: ‘1’
Property ClientAosServer set to: ‘VM004b’
Property InstallApplication set to: ‘1’
Property InstallAifWebServices set to: ‘0’
Property InstallBizTalkAdapter set to: ‘0’
Property InstallClientUI set to: ‘1’
Property InstallComBusinessConnector set to: ‘0’
Property InstallDatabase set to: ‘1’
Property InstallEnterprisePortal set to: ‘0’
Property InstallNetBusinessConnector set to: ‘1’
Property InstallDebugger set to: ‘1’
Property InstallEnterprisePortalTools set to: ‘0’
Property InstallReportingServicesExtensions set to: ‘0’
Property InstallReportingTools set to: ‘0’
Property InstallSynchronizationProxy set to: ‘0’
Property InstallSynchronizationService set to: ‘0’
Property InstallWorkflow set to: ‘0’
Property DbServerType set to: ‘0’
Property InstallDatabase set to: ‘0’
Performing prerequisite validation: VC++ SP1
Performing prerequisite validation: VC++ SP1
Performing prerequisite validation: SNAC
Property InstallPath set to: ‘C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics AX\50’
Property DbSqlServer set to: ‘VM004b’
Connected to SQL Server: ‘VM004b’
Property DbSqlDatabaseName set to: ‘DYNAX09-V4A-DEV001’
Property InstallApplication set to: ‘2’
Property ApplicationInstanceName set to: ‘DYNAX09-V4A-DEV001’
Property ApplicationRegion set to: ‘-’
Property AosPort set to: ‘2712’
Property AosInstanceName set to: ‘DYNAX09-V4A-DEV001’
Property AosPort set to: ‘2712’
Property AosReportErrors set to: ‘0’
The localized name for the NT Authority\Network Service account has been identified as ‘NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE’.
Property AosAccount set to: ‘’
Property ClientLanguage set to: ‘EN-US’
Property ClientHelpLanguages set to: ‘NL;EN-US’
Property AosStart set to: ‘1’

=== Starting execution phase ===
=== Setting up Application files ===
Completed setup of Application files.
=== Setting up Application Object Server (AOS) ===
Exception: System.NullReferenceException

Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

FullText: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Microsoft.Dynamics.Setup.Misc.GetMachineDomain()
at Microsoft.Dynamics.Setup.Misc.GetMachineAccountName()
at Microsoft.Dynamics.Setup.InstallSqlServer.GrantAosAccessToRemoteSqlServer()
at Microsoft.Dynamics.Setup.InstallSqlServer.GrantAosAccess()
at Microsoft.Dynamics.Setup.MainForm.AosDbAccess()
at Microsoft.Dynamics.Setup.MainForm.s250Timer_Tick()

==== Setup encountered an unhandled exception and could not be completed. For details see the previous messages in the log. ===

1. Can this be a XP Professional machine with Developers SQL database?

==> I have stopped this exercise since the setup did not run. After doing installation on a domain controller I saw also a lot of login sessions are started to setup the AOS. I will try to move my AX instance to an XP Prof and see what happens.

1. Do I need to setup an active directory for license validation?

==> To be validated. I downloaded AX from my MSDN subscription (ISV) and run that installation setup which is nicer than what was shipped with my implementation (zip file).

1. I read the AOS instances are unique per installation. What I am used to do is to backup the production database and move it to my dev for testing. I understand that this is not possible and the AOS needs to be replicated on the server itself as a beta environment ? Or is there another way to replicate the production site towards a single development machine?

==> UNANSWERED. Must be otherwise development + acceptance testing is a no go.

1. Do I need additional licenses for development purposes? I have 2 user licenses and a Business Connector license.

==> UNANSWERED. I found a license in my MSDN download. Not sure what rights it has.

1. Can SQL Express be used?

==> I setup SQL2008 standard. I guess Express can also be used.

1. Can I use a restored backup of my production database to connect with on this dev? That is an easy way of getting an exact copy + data. Or won’t this work?

==> UNANSWERED. To be investigated still.

1. If dev cannot use production database copy. How to do acceptance testing and more over: debugging with real life data?

==> UNANSWERED. To be investigated.

Installation of DEV I did next:

1. Clean W2K3 install with all security updates and sp2.
  2. Install SQL2008 standard edition with 1 seperate user for the instance. Open remote connections, activated tcp/ip and named pipes in the sql configuration manager. rebooted.
  3. Install Dynax 2009 developers editions downloaded from msdn. Created 1 user with administrator rights to have AOS run on.

==> Seems AOS is running as a service. But the configuration for AX client and AX server are completely disabled. You can open, import/ export configurations but not change any setting. Or is that the idea?

I restarted the AOS and now I can connect with the client. Installation checklist required a 'Compile Application" first. On my production the configuration is disabled for the running instances of AX.

I compiled the application successfully and followed the rest of the checklist. Seems that you need to export and import data through a definition group. I hoped restoring a database backup would do the trick. But according to the AX installation manual is doesn’t.