Navision to become part of Great Plains!

quote:

Thomas Hütter said: here we go again: you are not talking about STABLE Microsoft software, are you? I mean, follow your own explanation “it is the developer himself…”. This is especially true for Micro$oft developers. But of course everyone can draw their own conclusions here.

I would agree that traditionally Microsoft products haven’t been regarded as stable, but I believe from what I’ve seen of .NET that this socially accepted “fact” will change. Microsoft seems to have taken great pains to make .NET a stable and reliable platform. XP seems to be crashing less, in my experience. Sure, you have applications that buckle up and go for that rollercoaster ride to death, but the OS is able to adapt and recover. And application crashes would definitely be a “developer” problem.

quote:

Jean-Marie De Smet said: I hope that Microsoft will force their experience of development environments into the Navision one. You have to admit: Navision is better in business logic but Microsoft is much better in development logic. Combining them both will create a new strong product, eventually mixed with Great Plains.

quote:

Robert1 said: Navision and Great Plains are almost mirror images of each other. Each has 85% of revenues from home markets and have struggled in the penetration of each others main markets. Why in the world would Microsoft support both products equally on each continent? It doesn’t make business sense. It would be far easier to kill Navision in North America, and Great Plains on Europe either through no marketing or swapping solutions for customers.

No one is fooling anyone by saying that an Attain or a derivative will not be on a .NET platform at some point, maybe soon. The markets demand change, no matter if you are in North America or Europe, I seriously doubt one or the other product will be dropped. It’ll probably be more like a subtle push into a derivative product if this is the direction that is take over maintaining both products. I agree that the Navision business logic is much stronger. I think the overall concept of the Navision product was to maintain the business logic over some of the other programming “niceties”. We ended up with a much more sound package in an accounting sense.

quote:

Scott Peetz said: God help us all if they switch us to VB…

So what?!? Even IF (or more appropriately, ~I~ believe, is WHEN) the product(s) are pushed to .NET, you can program in whichever programming language you wish. It is silly to think you are going to get stuck if there is a platform switch. Yes, it is somewhat unlikely that we will see a C/SIDE.NET coming out, just due to the age of the thing, but I guess that would depend on if the business logic can be maintained with other .NET elements.

quote:

David Studebaker said: On the other hand, considering the number of people who have been requesting an update to C/SIDE’s capabilities, this could be very exciting. The only thing we know for sure right now is that in a little while, things will be different. Our comfortable niches will go away. Since I’ve been programming for 40 years, some of my close friends refer to me as a “dinosaur”. Well, the meteor has hit and I’m hoping to become a bird. To survive, we must evolve.

We should be all rejoicing in the event of a migration to .NET, C/SIDE.NET or whatever else may come. Dave hits the nail on the head when he says that we must evolve. We are evolving now learning new features in Attain. Who’d used a Stream object before Attain? Yes, a simplistic example, I’m sure, but valid none the less. This all, of course, is just my humble opinion (as outspoken as it may be… hehe) Regards! Kristopher Webb Kelar Corporation, Canada

So, the path for acquisition is clear for MS now with no anti-trust cases. Is there any new Offical statement on how they have planned to reengineer MS Bus. Soln. Division and the Prod. Lines themselves. Regards

I am working with a client where Axapta and e by Epicor are the 2 demo finalists. While Axapta has shone in functionality, my client is unsure of the Axapta presence here in USA…how long, how it has performed year by year…factors that could explain how to view the organization as a successful seller. Does anyone know where I can talk to someone about Axapta’s performance here in USA. Thanks Len G